PDA

View Full Version : Tables Question

kona72
07-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I have searched and searched and cannot find this answer. The site I am making is fluid design but i need it to also to be rigid at the same time. Let me explain....

It has to be 100% when viewed with 800x600 or greater resolution but on the off chance that some one with a browser with less than 800x600 look at it i nned the tables to STAY at a minumum of 756px.....

Have a look at the site now.... change the size of your screen to 640x480 to see what i mean...

www.idas.ca/main.htm

ps... the site is still in the design development phase so please excuse all the dull grays.....

Creative Insanity
07-28-2006, 11:54 PM
New systems or even a system 4 years old does not go that low anymore. XP does not support it and if someone is still on 98 and using that screen size I would say they deserve all they get and personally I would not worry about it. The percentage these days on that size screen I would say would be minimal.

Andromeda
07-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi kona72

I've come up with one solution. It may not be the best but it does work.

Create a table with 100% width
Insert a transparent image which is 756 by say 10px
When the screen is resized to less than 756 the horizontal scroll bar will appear and your menu won't go on to a second line.

See http://www.newday.co.nz/test.html for an example. The image is blue just so that you can see what I mean. You could probably fit the transparent image just above your menu.

Hope this helps.

Creative Insanity
07-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah but the problem with the solution Andromeda is that hori bars are considered bad design.

dthomsen8
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Do you have some specific reason to want a fixed width limit? It seems to be of limited application.

Andromeda
07-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Yeah but the problem with the solution Andromeda is that hori bars are considered bad design.

Yes I know that CI and I personally think they shouldn't be used but it is a solution if kona72 finds resizing unacceptable.