PDA

View Full Version : TFT screen colors

Electrodesign
07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm still using a 14" CRT monitor set at 800x 600 resolution.
I automatically set my tables etc to a percentage value so that they resize in larger Browsers. When i check them out by changing the resolution settings on the Desktop, the sites look fine.
I've just viewed one of my designs on a Laptop with a TFT screen and all the colours look washed out. The table structures are fine but the overall design looks terrible because of this.
I know that the best solution would be to buy a TFT monitor but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to address this problem when i am building a site (should I stick to using primary colours in my designs etc..)
If you want to see the Site I am talking about it's at http://www.shawslgvtraining.co.uk/index.php
Any suggestions or criticism are always welcome
FYI i'm using DW8 on a Windows XP based PC
Thanks in Advance
Paul

d a v e
07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
i'm on a crt and you could use some more contrast on your details very top left. you could maybe use a bit more of the orange/yellow that you have on the right for the rest of the site - like for your headings ;)

Electrodesign
07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks, I can see that, but it still doesn't reallyanswer my original question which I should have phrased a little better, something like " why do TFT monitors make colours look washed out and how to combat this"
I appreciate your reply though and will take steps to rectify asap
With so many people now with TFT/laptops, i'd like my sites to look good to all users not just to those with the same paltry monitor as me!

d a v e
07-26-2006, 11:55 AM
i believe it's just a difference between the technologies involved i.e. TFT vs CRT.

all you can do is aim for a happy medium, especially as evreyone's monitor looks different depending on quality, type, maker, brightness/contrast setup, ambient lighting conditions.

domedia
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't think your problem is related to the TFT screen, they're not supposed to have 'washed out' colors. Check your color and gamma controls.

Electrodesign
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your help in this matter
I'll do some experimenting with the above and post back
Many thanks to all who have taken the time to read and post replies
Paul

d a v e
07-26-2006, 02:32 PM
i've noticed that tft screens do seem less saturated than crts generally but they may just be the settings of the few i've seen - i.e. usually too much brightness as factory presets seem to be 100% brightnesss and contrast