PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a website where only the center area changes.

FF1414
07-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm a newbie so please don't get mad if I am asking a dumb question. Prior to Dreamweaver I used Frontpage, but because so many people told me I should switch I did. Now it's like learning to walk again.

What I am looking to do is set up a web site where the top and left side are always the same and only the center portion changes when a link is clicked. I am not sure what you call this so I didn't know what to search for. I am registered to take a Web Development course in the fall, but I am trying to help out my Volunteer Fire Company by creating something nice in the meantime. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Creative Insanity
07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
You can do that with an iframe and target your links for the name of the iframe.
It will act then like this. (http://www.lisboa-x.com)

FF1414
07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Thats exactly what I was looking for. I don't know what an iFrame is yet, but I am sure I will find the info somewhere on line. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks a lot for the help.

domedia
07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi John,
Dreamweaver has this beautiful built in functionality called 'Dreamweaver Templates'. It's not a template like you might know from Frontpage, but is a system where you can edit one file that changes all the common areas on your website, and then you can edit all the 'center' areas without having to worry that the pages will look different ouside the 'center' area. This a very powerful feature in DW, and makes sure your website stays in consistent design, while you have different types of content in the content area of your website. This makes updates and changes to your website really easy, and you can update your design from just editing *one* file. :)

Your dreamweaver should have plenty of help on this subject just from the help menu. In adition there's a great tutorial for this on:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/dw_templates.html

And once you've gone through that tutorial you can find plenty more on:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/templates.html

Come back for any other querstions :)

FF1414
07-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Creative Insanity, Inoticed in another post that you helped someone build a guestbook. I tried the link, however it didn't work. Is it possible for you to help me with that? :?:

Creative Insanity
07-25-2006, 08:53 PM
The guest book I created needs knowhow with php/mysql or a good knowledge of DW.
You can make one with DW and not have to touch one line of code and knowing DW is your first step into creating that.

So you will need a databse with only 1 table and 2 fields, (name and comment). I don't worry about email it site names as many don't fill them in or put bogus into in them anyway.

Then it is just a matter of make a php file where at the top is your input form (place at top to save them scrolling down the bottom all the time.
Then under than have you record set echo the data from those fields in the manner you wish to display them.

FF1414
07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Sweet. I will try that. I appreciate the fast response.