PDA

View Full Version : Database newbie question

JohnsonW
07-22-2006, 10:48 PM
I am trying to learn coldfusion to build a site (using DW8) which can access a database where the database has just names and addresses. There will be 10, 000 names and addresses. Which database model should I use?

1) I am familiar with Access, but I don't think it is up to the task.
2) I have looked at MS SQL, but it is quite expensive and seems very complicated.
3) I have looked at MS SQL Express, but don't know too much about it.
4) I have looked at MySQL, but is there a way to enter data into a table without using just the command prompt? Or is that what mysql is all about? Is there a Windows-type version?
5) What about creating an Access database, converting to one of the above types and then entering data with it?

I have searched the web for these answers, but it seems that all the sites deal with answering PHD or college questions, when I just need something very basic, like first or second grade answers.

Creative Insanity
07-22-2006, 11:29 PM
access will not hack that much data for a net application you are correct there.

My choice would be php and mysql since they are both free and you can setup a local development server using apache2triad which is an awesome and VERY EASY to use program which installs like any other exe program.
All you need do is enter a password when prompted and all the work is done for you.

As for entering 10.000 names.. that is not going to be an easy job what ever you use, but with apache2triad you get a browser based application called phpmyadmin which allows you to set up databases for your applications. Just go to apache2triad.com and have a read up on it. Very easy to use and install.

JohnsonW
07-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks, you helped me to decide what I already suspected. I had started reading a few books on coldfusion, but switched to PHP. MySQL and even PHPAdmin is a bit confusing. I found two products (one has a free edition): SQLyog and Navicat. Both are MySQL front ends and as of right now, the SQLyog seems to make the most sense to me and it has a pretty good CHM help file which has already helped me to understand all of this. Are there any drawbacks to using these front ends?

edbr
07-24-2006, 02:56 AM
I also have SQLyog and use it to as well as phpmyadmin on my local server. each has their advantages but overall phpmyadmin is better I feel.