PDA

View Full Version : E-mail Form .... Host does not supoort PHP.

moondog
07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I am trying to set up a page for a local genealogy society that allows people to fill out a simple little question/form and e-mail it to the ladies in the society. I use godaddy for hosting and apparently they do not supoort PHP for Windows.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Can't this just be done in Dreamweaver WITHOUT PHP scripting?

dog

davidj
07-17-2006, 02:29 PM
ok it works like this..

you have purchased hosting space and by the sound of it you have purchased space on a windows platform

You may have ASP support which will happily handle your email alternativley if you have not purchased any scripting support then CGI may be your only option.

please find out what kind of account you have from your host

Your host may have some pre-defined email form scripts you can use with your account so its worth asking

domedia
07-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Bottom line is that a client browser cannot be used to generate email. If you have a form it has to be sent to the server and handled there. This is definately, like DJ said, a question you ask your hosting company.

moondog
07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Okay, I have contacted GoDaddy and I have the economy plan and that includes support for ASP. CGI and PHP are only supported for an extra $3.00 a month and the site I'm working on can not be afforded by them yet.

So I will have to do it in ASP .... can we still get this done?

dog

davidj
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
how strange is that... PHP costing more than ASP ??

ASP it is then but i dont do ASP so i have to hand over the Cape of scripting to someone else

sorry

chriskq
07-18-2006, 08:48 AM
unfortunatly i am not familar with asp or .NET yet (if i was - i'd be in high demand!) so i cant give u a definitive answer.
a quick google should serve you good
http://www.tele-pro.co.uk/scripts/contact_form/
this is auto generated form script which has the option to export as asp.
i kno these dont always work well - but hey give it a shot and try and figure out how it works.
otherwise search for a contact email asp tutorial and take it from there.

btw - no one uses asp anymore, instead its saved as ".aspx"
and you can always use javascript to validate the contact from on the client side.

domedia
07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
So I will have to do it in ASP .... can we still get this done? Did you ask your hosting company?

moondog
07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
yes, I contacted them ... for the economy package only ASP and .NET are supoorted for this. I would have to purchase the deluxe package to get support for PHP.

That being said, I guess I'll have to figure out some way to do it in ASP.

dog

ramandeep
07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
ok here is the extension for dreamweaver which will prepare your ASP script.
http://www.kaosweaver.com/extensions/details.php?id=69

you can use ASP, PHP or CF as per your server support.

dthomsen8
07-18-2006, 09:58 PM
yes, I contacted them ... for the economy package only ASP and .NET are supoorted for this. I would have to purchase the deluxe package to get support for PHP.

dog

I have been using a site at Godaddy.com for PHP and MySQL with the economy package, with no problems once I figured out how to do it with their several layers of security to reach the Admin for MySQL. It is curious that the usual PHP scripts won't work for forms, when my own PHP is just fine.

Many Linux/Unix based web hosting packages include full PHP support, and many are cheap, too.

ramandeep
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM

dog

I have been using a site at Godaddy.com for PHP and MySQL with the economy package, with no problems once I figured out how to do it with their several layers of security to reach the Admin for MySQL. It is curious that the usual PHP scripts won't work for forms, when my own PHP is just fine.

Many Linux/Unix based web hosting packages include full PHP support, and many are cheap, too.

The thing is that he is on windows hosting and that godaddy plan does not support PHP