PDA

View Full Version : Web counters ?

becky gelke
07-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Sorry to ask, but my client wants one, where can I find a good.....free page counter please. Cheers if you can help.

domedia
07-07-2006, 01:47 AM
I think 'free page counter' in google will give you plenty, haven't used one for years. The reason I responded is that I think your host might have a better solution. Most web hosts today offer some kind of server log software which will give your client in dept info on how many visitors there are, pageviews, geogrpahical locations etc. Page counteres are usually considered a little 'cheap' today and are mostly associated with amateur hobby websites. Just my 5 cents :)

edbr
07-07-2006, 03:04 AM
heres a link with a few. customer is always right even when wrong.

http://scripts.ringsworld.com/counters/

becky gelke
07-07-2006, 03:28 AM
Page counteres are usually considered a little 'cheap' today and are mostly associated with amateur hobby websites. Just my 5 cents :)

Couldnt agree more, as ebr says the customer is always right even when wrong ! funny old game isnt it. Thanks for both replies.

dthomsen8
07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
If you can print out some statistics from your control panel, especially in color, do it and see if the client likes having that information.

Perhaps you can find some tacky or poorly done web sites in the client's business or field that have visitor counters, and compare those with your own well done site. The client should be able to see the difference.

davidj
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Perhaps you can find some tacky or poorly done web sites in the client's business or field that have visitor counters, and compare those with your own well done site. The client should be able to see the difference.

err you will find that a client who requests a counter cant tell the difference between a good or bad site's...

its like having the Affliction of being tone deaf or not being able dance in time with the music! ... its a sad fact of life these people exist and the law dosnt allow you to put them out of their misery

no matter what you show them... good or bad site's ... they will always reply with those mortal words...>>>

the buttons need a bit of bevel and emboss and it needs a rotating envelope as the email link!

domedia
07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Client is always right, sadly the truth as they pay your bills ;)

I think part of building a relationship is making the client trust your skills and knowledge. If they don't, they shouldn't be working with you, or you with them in the first place. Any business client I've had that has not known about the kind of statistics server log software can provide have loved it when I've showed it to them. And the few that has asked about counters has had no problems understanding credibility issues when implementing certain elements that are mostly associated with free services or kid websites. A little off topic but I thought I could share :)