PDA

View Full Version : Password protect page from menu

befferk
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I am a beginner Dreamweaver user. I have a page on my site that is password protected (very basic, just to keep the nosy people out that won't put the effort into figuring it out). It is a button that you click on and a pop-up asks for the password (the same for everyone). I am changing the website and I want to keep this page password protected, but I want it to be linked to from the menu (I have created the menu using the PopUp Menu behavior in Dreamweaver). The page I want password protected will be one of the items on the drop down menu. Is there any way to do this? Go easy on me, lol, like I said, I am a beginner and had to learn all this very fast for my job.

Beth

domedia
07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
If you're running apache read up on ".htaccess" and ".htpassword", it should be exactly what you're looking for.

befferk
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I briefly looked at that, but it looks like I have to set up a username AND password. Can I modify that to be JUST one common password?

Thanks,
Beth

domedia
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
There is no reason to have seperate users if you're going to give them the same passowrd. Makes no sense at all. Give them all the same username and password, as in only set up one account and give them all the same info.

befferk
07-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Well that's sort of the problem, my boss doesn't want a username AT ALL. Only a password. It is already set up on the site that way, but I need to do it a new way. The script I have won't work the new way, because right now the link to the new page is on an existing page, but now it will only be in the drop down menu. Probabaly too confusing to explain...