PDA

View Full Version : Right click disable

K.Simmonds
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi. I've just found a web site that has nicked a lot of my photos. How do I right click disable ...... and can I disable a whole page, or at least a whole bunch of photos together?

domedia
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Disabling right click will only makes your users pissed off, and won't stop anyone from copying your images (all images have to be downloaded to the local computer in order to be seen on a webpage.)

It's not legal, so you should contact the person who stole them. If that does not work just contact their hosting company. Google should be helpful in finding resources, sample letters etc.

Creative Insanity
06-29-2006, 07:57 PM
You could wrap your photos in either a swf file or an applet. These 2 formats do not have any useful right click options. Also you could add the tag to stop the IE icons appearing on your images.
As dom said you cannot these days disable RC with JS as that only will apply to IE and FF will still allow the RC option anyway.

cperkins
06-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Forget flash, right click disable, slicing, cover images, etc. None of those things will stop people from getting your images. All they have to do is Alt-Print Screen and paste.

The _only_ reliable method is to watermark the images that you upload on your site. There are tutorials on how to do this in Photoshop and how to do this in batches (I saw one on NAPP's site, recently, I believe).

Chris Perkins
http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder <- Photoshop to DreamWeaver? One step, full featured: graphics, text, links, menus, everything you could want (even forms!). Name your layers, get a website.

Creative Insanity
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
But a watermark is still not going to stop them. Heard of Vanishing Point?

cperkins
06-30-2006, 03:12 PM
If the watermark is bevelled or embossed, and semi-transparent, it's definitely going to nigh impossible to remove.

I'm not talking about one of those digital watermark signature's that's added into an image, I'm talking about defacing it slightly with a copyright symbol, the authors name, etc. Those things are much harder to remove, many orders of magnitude harder than Alt-Print Screen.

I only know the traditional uses of vanishing point - the artistic use of converging lines of perspective, and the movie.

Chris
http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder<-Photoshop to DreamWeaver, supports conversion of styled Photoshop text to styled HTML, multi-page output, and much more.

Creative Insanity
06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Well with Vanishing Point you can do a lot more than that and removing a watermark is really easy with it. If you still dought then post a watermarked image like you speak of and watch me remove it like it was never there in the first place.

dthomsen8
06-30-2006, 09:05 PM
What are you actually going to do?

I presume you know where your images went by using Google Images searches.