PDA

View Full Version : Criticise please!

yurg
06-27-2006, 12:10 PM
hello,

ive uploaded my new website and its almost ready to launch. the current one is still there at www.urofoam.co.uk and there is a link at the bottom of the page to the new website.

I would be very grateful if people would criticise it as it would help me improve any faults.

thanks

ps. i designed it around a 1024x768, in retrospect this may have proven a little stupid. is there anyway i can place my pages into a control table so that it works on 800x600 screens without horizontal scrolling :?:

dthomsen8
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I would be very grateful if people would criticise it as it would help me improve any faults.

You should have a DOCTYPE as the first line of every page. Then you can try validation of your code at www.w3.org and correct any errors found in validation. Search on "DOCTYPE" in any search engine, and you will find plenty of information.

yurg
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
how do you read other peoples code? do u have some sort of software for doing that? just curious

Creative Insanity
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
how do you read other peoples code? do u have some sort of software for doing that? just curious
Yes he does.. it is called right-click LOL.
You you need to do is right click and select view source.
Site looks nice.. I would agree about the doctype but wouldn't bother about what wc3 says.. it is a bit of a crock this validation thing and some can take it to far and some of the errors that wc3 puts out are nothing more than rediculous.

As for a doctype.. place this line as your first above the open html tag.
It just helps pages render as you expect.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

yurg
06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
ok then, think im understanding, a bit. why do i replace what i have at the start of my pages though:

[/code]<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

with what you suggested

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

i know theres some differences, but what effect do they have?

yurg
06-28-2006, 08:35 AM
sorry about that, clicked code twice before i started and didnt realise.

Creative Insanity
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
The one I posted.

yurg
06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
hey,

just realised, are you looking at the right website? www.urofoam.co.uk is the current website, the one ive done is at the bottom of the home page in a link saying "new website"

domedia
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Remmber if you change your doctype from XHMLT to html4, you need to change alot of your html tags as xhtml has different rules for how you close tags.

charlottie
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
i dont think i need to do any of that anyway, the website that ive given doesnt have any doctype stuff, but the one that ive created has got it already (bottom of www.urofoam.co.uk theres a little link saying 'new website' click that and then you'll see the website ive been talking about)

doesn't actually matter now cos im going to get rid of the current website and replace it with the one ive built,

i'm keeping the page names the same, the meta descriptions the same. is there anything else i need to do to ensure that i dont lose my page position on the search engines. im effectively trying to do a straight swap!

domedia
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
'm keeping the page names the same, the meta descriptions the same. is there anything else i need to do to ensure that i dont lose my page position on the search engines. im effectively trying to do a straight swap!
You should aim to score even better with the engines ;)
A couple of tips that should help increase presence in search results:
-Get some *good* *quality* links from *relevant* websites.
-Try to use semantic HTML and cut down on messy code that is not read by the search engines anyways. Move all CSS to a seperate file to seperate structure and presentation.
-Add a sitemap to your site, and make sure search engines knows about it (you can even submit your sitemap to Google)
-Make sure keuywrods for each page are present in title, h1 and text.