PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing photos for web sites: how?

fishugly
06-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I would like to optimize some photos for my website so they load reasonably quick for people. I just want to get the point across so I am not too concerned with high quality photos. I'd say "medium" quality would be fine.

Most pages will have 3 or fewer photos. A few pages may have a dozen or a few more.

Could some one explain, in layman terms, how to best optimize photos for my purposes, what to look for, etc? The simpler, the better.

I have Ulead Photo Express 3 and Fireworks 6 to work with.

Thanks.

edbr
06-24-2006, 02:20 AM
if I remember you go to window and from the drop down menu select optimize to open thepanel it will giv you some options opening '$ up", will give you previews of the optimized image. I hope this is correct as it is a while since I used fireworks. give it a try

d a v e
06-24-2006, 12:29 PM
just to expand... using the preview (and the 2-up and 4-up views will give you an idea of how far you can compress an image before it looks bad. anything down to about 55 with smoothing set to about 3 you may get away with, depending on the particular photo.

if i need to compress something quite agressively then i go in increments until it's too far and then back up a bit. if you go too far you will notice that er the photo basically looks blurry and lacks detail and you will get compression artefacts (i.e. blotchy bits) in areas of similar colour e.g. a blue sky will start to 'break up' and look pixellated

once you find a good trade of between quality and download time/size then you can save it as a preset a tweak it from there if you need to

also some careful cropping of photos and framing of photos (to bring more attention to the subject of the photo and less on extraneous details (like boring background details: e.g. telephone masts) means you can make the photo slightly smaller and thus save some download time.