PDA

View Full Version : php confusion

shimble
06-22-2006, 05:21 PM
hello i am new to dynamic pages andi would like to created some pages using dynamic images and texts

i am using dw on a windows xp os (not pro so no iis)

the host provider i am using supports php4

i would like to install apache on my local machine can i presume that the host provider will also support this

hopefully the information for the dynamic pages will be stored in an access database

do ineed to install mysql aswell or in place of apache
after that all the configuring will probably confuse me even more so if anyone has got some ideas how i can go about this it would be appreciated i tend to spend a week going round incircles with th tutorials and help files just to be more confused at the end of the week anyway many thanks john

edbr
06-24-2006, 01:05 AM
the best way I found wa to download xampp, which will install apache and mysql already configured. it is free to download but you wil have to google for the site as I fhave forgotten. prbably is xampp.com

shimble
06-30-2006, 10:31 AM
cheers ill have a look at wamp but ive got apache installed ok trying to install the php into apache seemed to be ok but it didnt work i need to suss out the php installation any clues?
so if apache and php work together and my databases are in access do i need my sql to process the database information or any ideas on this ?

davidj
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
use MYSQL

it will be better in the long run

and its free

Creative Insanity
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
No don't use xampp, there is a way better one called Apache2Triad and it rocks.. not as good as a linux server but not damn far from it. Someone told me about it in another thread here.

Apache2Triad is a xp based exe file of around 100mb and once installed it only asks you ONE question and that is for a password you want to set which works for all features.

Apache2Triad installs the following options:
Apache2.2
MySQL
PHP 4.3
PGSQL
XMail
OpenSSL
SlimFTP Server
Perl
Python
phpMyADMIN

And the best part about it is that it gives you a control panel (sorta like Cpanel) where you can do tasks such as:
Get server info and status.
Server Logs.
Server security.
Server protection.
and other server stuff.

In anyones language this kicks xampp up the butt and back.