PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to learn PHP

jchrisf
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I am curious what OS I should learn this on. My webserver is going to be linux running apache. Will there be a problem if I build my site on MS XP running apache, then upload to the linux server?

Also, which distro of Linux seems to be best for php development?

Thanks

Creative Insanity
06-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Ok this is right down my alley.

I use a Linux server and I have DW on a xp pro system and it works a bloody treat and a linux server is a FAR better option then an XP one for the simple reason that 99% of hosters of php/mysql use Linux anyway. That way you will know that what works on your development server will work on your hosters server. Just a matter of seeing what options your hoster provides you with and matching the same on your server.
You do not need to have apache on the xp system, only the Linux server.

As for distros, that is a large one.
Most hosters use RedHat 7.3. Don't go higher than that if you intend to use RH as it went to crap after that release. You can update the kernal, but not the actual distro as I have heard that later than 7.3 it is pretty horrid.

If you are a first timer then Mandrake would be your best option as it is real easy to install and you can install all you need to get the server running with apache, php and mysql at installation and there is no need to do any installing after the main installation.

FreeBDS is one that more and more hosters seem to be going for also. I have not had any personal experience with it myself but have heard nothing but good things about it.

Personally for me, I prefer Slackware for the simple reason of it's command line and that it is the closest to UNIX as a linux distro will ever get. But if you are a first timer with Linux I would stay away from Slackware as EVERYTHING has to be done my hand.

jchrisf
06-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Thank you for the detailed advice... it was very helpful. Do you know anywhere that I can get a copy of RH 7.3? I have been searching everywhere but all the links for iso files go to RH and they have taken down all their files now that they charge for it. If not, I'll give Mandrake a try.

Creative Insanity
06-24-2006, 05:02 AM
Go to http://linixiso.org

Now the distros I would suggest would be.
Mandrake has changed now to Mandriva and the free version sucks.
RH 7.3 is nowhere these days.. I looked around also and couldn't find it myself.

So that leaves you one of the following:
But before I suggest tell me what experience you have had with linux.

jchrisf
06-25-2006, 04:17 PM
I have installed Linux a few times and am actually running Unbuntu desktop on a couple of my laptops where I dual boot to XP. I would say I am a novice at linux, definately not a beginner or an expert. Thanks for you help!

Creative Insanity
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
OK.. Ubuntu is a good distro, however it is in it's early stages and is still missing rather alot that you will need to run a server properly with all the scripts and module options.

Ok My suggestions would be (since you have use Linux before)

Slackware (this would really be for the Linux geek)
SuSE (excellent distro)
FreeBDS (excellent distro)
Gentoo (heard good things but never used it.)
Fedora (not too shabby)
Debian (excellent distro)

I think you will find something from that lot, but research before you deceide so you are getting something that you want as this is going to be the heart of your development structure.

jchrisf
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info CI. I think I will go with Fedora for now at least but probably experiement with a couple others that you mentioned too.

mrclark0
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey CI, have you ever tried Apache2triad?

That's what I have installed on my WinXP Pro laptop and I really like it. Of course its the only server I've ever run anything on so I have nothing to compare it against. :lol:

What I liked about the setup was that the server was combined with the php and mysql all in one neat installation package. Easy to install and get started.

Creative Insanity
06-30-2006, 10:33 AM
No I have not tried that. By reading up on it, it looks like it is not a full linux distro as it seems way too small (100MB approx) But not one to put a view on something I have not tried. I will download it and have a look and give you my thoughts on it.
But personally I am one for the full package and not an add-on to windows like this one looks like.

mrclark0
06-30-2006, 01:00 PM
You are correct sir.

This is a windows install and not a linux. I was interested in having a server on my laptop so I could get php and mysql installed and somewhere on the wild wild net, I found someone suggesting it.

I've been working on a few pages myself in my site (which I'm still building) and finally figured out how to make a master/detail record page last night.

Yea!!!!

http://www.psre.net/rs_newdata.php

Today I'll be filling in the detail page with all the 'detiail' information etc.

OFF topic: Anyone know how to make a javascript to popup a window with a picture in it?

These are property records and our local county houses all the photos for every property in the county. On their site you can do a search and it will give property specific info with a photo. I'd like to use their photos, but I'll have to check their site to see if its ok to make it show in my site. (don't want to get anyone upset).

Not even sure if I can do it or not. If the photos are housed in a database, I'd have to know the database name and password, which of course I don't.

Anyway, just glad to finally have gotten around to getting this site worked out.

Creative Insanity
07-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Well I installed Apache2Triad and for someone not wanting to go the whole hog and use Linux I think this is a good alternitive to it and save you all the hassle with setting up everything manually.

It is not too shabby and I like the fact that it installs phpmyadmin also as so many of these all in one type things miss that. Some minor changes in the config file for phpmyadmin and it was purring.

Nice choice I think if you do not have a second system or do not want to go the whole hog.

Soad
07-15-2006, 04:54 AM
Bromley College in Kent which is near London now offers a course on PHP on 25th November

They offer many Linux courses which I have attended and the teaching is excellent

http://ce.bromley.ac.uk/linux/php.htm

See you there