PDA

View Full Version : Controlling browser size

gjclimer
06-14-2006, 01:03 AM
When i add a pop-up window i can specify the size of the window. I want to do the same thing for the main page of my website. i cannot seem to find any function that controls this. can someone help me?

how do i set the browser size for my website?

edbr
06-14-2006, 01:17 AM
you can set the size of your web page as to how it appears in browsers.

gjclimer
06-14-2006, 01:22 AM
but how do i do it? i am baffled as to how. i know how for pop ups, but not for the main page!

edbr
06-14-2006, 01:39 AM
You can make the tables or divisions the size you wish, either by a value or by percentage, you can also set padding and margins.

gjclimer
06-14-2006, 01:43 AM
your answer is not making any sense to me. i am new to dreamweaver, so you might need to talk alittle bit "dumber" to me.
but i am not using tables on the pages i am looking to control the size of the browser of, so changing the table size is not an option.
Basically i want my website to ALWAYS come up in a browser 1050pixels by 650 pixels. I have been to other websites that have done similar control, but i cannot find the function in DW to do that.

edbr
06-14-2006, 02:07 AM
the way people see webpages in their browser will epend on their screen resolution. I cant see any way that can be controlled, i would lke to know if their was a way. What you can do easily is control how your web page will appear. If you want that sizeyou stated, for the easiest way I would insert table, make it 1 row x 1 column and set the size to what ever you want.

dthomsen8
06-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Basically i want my website to ALWAYS come up in a browser 1050pixels by 650 pixels. I have been to other websites that have done similar control, but i cannot find the function in DW to do that.

I very much doubt that you can achieve that effect, or that other web sites have a simlar control. If you know of one, provide the URL here.

What you can control is the size of your web site pages. If you decide on a fixed width design, the result for users will either be horizontal scroll bars, if the user's browser is set for a smaller size than your design, or blank space on the right of your pages if the user's browser is set for a larger size than your design. Some browsers will be set just right.

Many designers deal with this problem by using a fluid design, rather than a fixed width design.