PDA

View Full Version : Table modifying problem

Jean
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I've used a HTML table to design the complete layout of my website.I'm using a table with 3 rows as a template and for different pages i just split row or insert columns etc to display content in the desired way.But the problem that I 'm having is when I insert a column in one row,it merges with a separate column on the row above??And many times,the table just goes haywire when I insert columns or rows? Any idea as to why these things happen?(it just doesnt give me the kind of control i would like to have over a Table).

domedia
06-09-2006, 07:15 PM
all rows must have the same amount of columns in a table. Is your design set up like that?

Jean
06-09-2006, 08:01 PM
oh ,i see......in that case,how can i go about designing a website something like the one in the picture below?
Right now,the columns in row 4,5 and 6 merge...is there anyway to prevent that from happening and hence have seperate control over each?

Thanx

domedia
06-09-2006, 08:18 PM
I would say stay away from tables all together.
Read some html/css tutorials. I see no reason at all why the above design should be made with tables. Actually if you want to do it with tables, you probably should make more of them (more code cluster :-/). One table for top, one for content and one for footer.

Jean
06-09-2006, 08:32 PM
oh ok.....Thanx!

dthomsen8
06-09-2006, 11:58 PM
oh ,i see......in that case,how can i go about designing a website something like the one in the picture below?
Right now,the columns in row 4,5 and 6 merge...is there anyway to prevent that from happening and hence have seperate control over each?

Thanx

You can make a table with multiple columns, and combine cells in some rows to get the effect you want. Tables may not be the best way, though.

d a v e
06-10-2006, 05:33 AM
if you use css as suggested you can just float the images to the left and right to have them positioned where you have them in the diagram ;)

Jean
06-10-2006, 09:28 PM
right...i was just checking some CSS tutorials...life's so much easier with CSS!!!....

Thanx for all your suggestions!

Jean
06-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Would it be possible for me to include layers inside cells ??..and confine these layers within these cells.That way I can get the exact positioning I want.
I want to do this cause if I change the whole website from being a table to layers...i'm facing a whole lot of other problems ...as I've posted in the below topic/link:

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3243&highlight=

Creative Insanity
06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
I would say stay away from tables all together.
I cannot disagree with that statement strongly enough.

Jean
06-16-2006, 02:53 AM
help!!... :lol:

HeadAche
06-16-2006, 09:55 AM
I think tables are cool... Still havent been bothered to delve into CSS layouts just yet - centred CSS layouts still seem to be a closely guarded secret. Then you have to use CSS hacks to do this and that and make them biodegradeable or some boolaxe...

I think everyone should learn good table layout skills.

@Jean... If you want your site to be aligned to the left then just start drawing layers. Sorry Jean, table layout is something you need study for a little while. I would suggest a trainning video and book, not just a book becasue its abit of a boring subject you more likley to concentrate with a trainning CDROM... CSS layout is even more headwrecking.