PDA

View Full Version : Doubtful about my new website

Jean
06-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbie when it comes to using dreamweaver...I've been using it for only a month now and so far I've used a table to design the complete website,incooperating fireworks here and there inside this table.
My website looks just the way I want it to look in DW,IE6 and firefox.But what I'm worried of is that when I actually upload it onto the server...is there a chance that the layout,font,font size etc might vary when viewed via www on other computers(and hence make it look bad).
I havent applied any CSS styles(cause I dont know how to)...is that ok??
Is there any acid test that will give me a guarantee that the website is solid interms of appearance and that "What I see is What I'll GET"?

Thanx

domedia
06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Jean,
Your website will look different in various scenarios. HTML is not a tool to make your website look the same in all browsers. The faster you get over the wysiwyg web, the less headaches for you. This is not print, you do not control the environment in which your website is presented. It ranges from web browsers, handheld devices, speach and braille browsers etc.
That's not to say it's not possible (for the web only). If you embed flash to your website, you increase thew chances of consistent design (like the print medias is for example.)

If you make a HTML website, you should learn CSS as well. HTML is protocol for the structure of your information, while CSS' job is to apply style and design to it.

The only tests available afaik are in terms of validation, to check if your markup and CSS does not have any erors in it.
HTML validator:
http://validator.w3.org/
CSS validator:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Jean
06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
That helps...thanx!

dthomsen8
06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
You should download and install Firefox and Netscape browsers on your computer, and then edit the browser list in Dreamweaver and check your pages in the other two browsers. That will help you in seeing whether your web site is acceptable in those browsers.

There is also a service that allows you to see what your web site would look like in Safari, a Mac browser. I can post that information if you like.

When you have your web site online, provide us with the URL and members here will provide additional comments.

Best wishes!

Jean
06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Alrite..thanx a lot!