PDA

View Full Version : How does one email large files?

fest-i
06-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I recently updated my basic website and wanted to get it over to my friend/host. Firstly I downloaded a month long stuffit freebie to compress my 64Mb file. Then I attached the resulting .sitx file to google e mail using the fire fox browser and got a drop down message saying this file is empty, which, it wouldn't send. I used the stuffit expander to check the fidelity of the copy of my original file which was good. I tried using IE ,which, gave a send failed error. Safari just seemed to hang...I tried using my Yahoo! email but still nothing.
We managed to find a great [STP??] site/link (www.upload.sc) where large files could be uploaded and then be sent on to the recipient. This seemed to work untill it became clear that a lot (20-30%) of info from my website was missing. I re-encoded my file for mac useage using stuffit and resent it. The same errors remained.
Very frustrating times. Is this common or do I have some obvious setting issues? Any solutions?

If you want to get in touch directly: festuswilliams@gmail.com

domedia
06-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Email is not meant for file transfers, which I think you found out. The solution would be to use something specifically built for sharing/transferring large files like the website you mentioned above.
You'll find many, many more by Googling 'send large files'

dthomsen8
06-10-2006, 12:25 PM
One obvious but not Internet based solution is to write a CD and mail it.

Beyond that, are you using a web based email service, like hotmail or yahoo?

You might have better luck with Eudora or Outlook at both ends, especially if you can make smaller files with part of the web site in each. With such large files, I would hope you are using a broadband ISP at each end, not dialup.

domedia
06-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Most IPS's (actually every one I've used), won't allow close to that filesize as an attachement.