PDA

View Full Version : tables or layers?

yurg
06-06-2006, 08:12 AM
hello

is it best to use layers with css when building a website or is it better to use tables? i find it difficult to edit tables once there are in place but im not sure what the best practice is!

also, when adding images and to the same table or layer, how do I make it so that the image is in the right of the table and the text is at the left, without the text forcing the image down the table when i continue to type.

thanks
charlie

Creative Insanity
06-06-2006, 10:40 AM
To me that is like asking do I use pink rope to pitch my tent or white rope.
In the end they both get the job done and really it is just personal preferance.
Some on here would lead you to beleive that layers and css are the end all to everything to web design, but I would have to differ on that.

dthomsen8
06-06-2006, 11:38 AM
hello

is it best to use layers with css when building a website or is it better to use tables? i find it difficult to edit tables once there are in place but im not sure what the best practice is!

also, when adding images and to the same table or layer, how do I make it so that the image is in the right of the table and the text is at the left, without the text forcing the image down the table when i continue to type.

thanks
charlie

You have to remember that Dreamweaver can convert layers into tables, and tables into layers. There can be some complications, but you should try it.

yurg
06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
ok cool, i didnt realise that you could convert them into each other.

does anyone know how to answer my previous question though?

subliminal.
06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
i have exactly the same problem with the layers and tables debate i have chosen to go with the css but when i place some of the objects with layers internet explorer displays them fine

BUT.... fire fox displays them out of position is this a setting in fire fox or a compatability issue if anyone cud help would be great

(with the text and images align maybe try css to ur question above)

domedia
06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Images you can simply align, do it through the properties panel when you select it.

Jean
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
when i first started building my website...i used layers as it was sooo easy to use...but eventually i discovered that I wouldnt be able to align my page in the center if i use layers. Hence I switched to tables,which lets you align the content right to the center independent of the screen resolution,window-size etc...

d a v e
06-09-2006, 06:41 PM
"Hence I switched to tables,which lets you align the content right to the center independent of the screen resolution,window-size etc..." which is exactly what you can do with divs (layers) - as long as they aren't positioned absolutely - using:

#centreddiv {margin:0 auto;}

Jean
06-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Really??...thats sweet...But what i dont understand is how will i be able to center different layers(relatively positioned to each other in one chunk)??

d a v e
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
if you wrap them all in one div and centre that wrapper div then it will be centred