PDA

View Full Version : frontpage meta tags

yurg
06-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi

Im redesigning a website which was created in Frontpage and ive noticed that there is alot of text relating to meta keywords, meta content, author name etc, at the start of the code view of the index page.

do i need to repeat this info if I am to retain my ranking position in the SE's?

thanks
charlie

edbr
06-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I am not so sure these things are of so much relavance these days, but can't see much harm in repeating it. As to search engine promotion google it and you wil find lots of help (and sometimes contrading advice)

domedia
06-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Meta tags does not influence search engine rankings in the major search engines.

dthomsen8
06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi

Im redesigning a website which was created in Frontpage and ive noticed that there is alot of text relating to meta keywords, meta content, author name etc, at the start of the code view of the index page.

do i need to repeat this info if I am to retain my ranking position in the SE's?

thanks
charlie

Don't repeat anything from a FrontPage web page which is used in the FP themes or extensions. Think about anything that could be used as Phishing information or as security breach hints.

If the current site is live right now, provide the URL and I will take a look.

I am still maintaining two FP legacy sites. One of those is about to get switched to Dreamweaver.

yurg
06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
the website im going to be updating is www.urofoam.co.uk

cheers

dthomsen8
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
the website im going to be updating is www.urofoam.co.uk

cheers

You certainly should have a DOCTYPE statment before the <html> tag, and you should also have a robots.txt file, too. Searches on Google will provide plenty of detail for both. A robots.txt file doesn't improve your search engine rankings, but it does show a degree of professionalism, and you may want to control indexing of images or other material on your site.

Validate your code at www.w3.org for both HTML and CSS. Valid code with a valid DOCTYPE does improve your standing with search engines.

Every language version of your site should permit the user to change languages again. I would guess that would also improve your chances of getting good rankings for the other language versions, too.

Let us know when your new site done with Dreamweaver is available for comment.