PDA

View Full Version : Link issues

exceleqd
06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
I am using a link style with a pop-up window. When viewed in Mozilla, all is well. But explorer is giving me fits. I have the link styles set as:

<style>
A:link {color:#ffcc66;text-decoration:none}
A:hover {color:#990033;text-decoration:none}
</style>

Can someone take a look and see what I am missing on this?

www.bobbinhollow.com on the About Us page.

Thanks so much! I am about bald from pulling out my hair!

Dottie

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire!"

domedia
06-03-2006, 05:37 PM
But explorer is giving me fits. Can you explain more about what is wrong? :)

d a v e
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
whe i allow popups through explorer it works fine. one thing you should definitely rethink is the underlining of text that isn't links! very confusing...

johnph77
06-04-2006, 03:49 AM
whe i allow popups through explorer it works fine. one thing you should definitely rethink is the underlining of text that isn't links! very confusing...

Agreed. In addition, the purple color of the visited links is extremely hard to read on the dark background.

Spelling and typos needs to be cleaned up to give your site a more professional impression.

Other than that, not bad at all.

exceleqd
06-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Although the input is appreciated, can anyone help with the problem I posted?

If you view the names at the top of the About Us page in Mozilla, they roll over from gold to burg to open a pop-up window. But in Explorer, the gold text does not show, only the burg when you rollover. I am in the process of fixing the other issues, but this one is the problem I posted to get help with.

Thanks!
Dottie

domedia
06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
you need to set a style for all 4 states for the link.
a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active.

d a v e
06-05-2006, 01:16 PM
and you weren't very explicit when stating your problem " But explorer is giving me fits." ;)

:)

domedia
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
An example of your link css could be like this:
<style>
a {text-decoration: none}
a:link {color:#ffcc66;}
a:visited{color:#ffcc66;}
a:hover {color:#990033;}
a:active {color:#ffcc66;}
</style>

dthomsen8
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I must say that your site looks good in Firefox, but as you say, there are problems in IE6.

I also see that you rank 2/10 in Google, not very well. That may be because you use framesets. Worse, the frameset points to an entirely different URL from the one you provided here. Most web designers currently avoid framesets and achieve their results with CSS instead. For lurkers, here is a page of the web site:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>

<head>
<title>Bobbin Hollow Equestrian Center ~ Naples, Florida </title>

</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
<frame src="http://www.excelequinedesign.com/bobbin" frameborder="0" />
<frame frameborder="0" noresize />
</frameset>

</html>

I didn't find the problem that others did with the links, but I did find that the "Side Menu" doesn't work right in IE6. Maybe it works in Firefox.

Also, I would like to see the top banner photo lower than the exact top of the page.

domedia
06-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Google's PR system is based on inbound links alone, so frames won't have a direct influence on PageRank. But apart from that I fully agree on the view on frames. Especially with Dreamweaver's Template functions and server side integration, there's no excuse to be using frames.

dthomsen8
06-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Google's PR system is based on inbound links alone, so frames won't have a direct influence on PageRank. But apart from that I fully agree on the view on frames. Especially with Dreamweaver's Template functions and server side integration, there's no excuse to be using frames.

Some search engines don't deal with frames very well. It may not affect Google rankings, but there are many more search engines out there.