PDA

View Full Version : change multiple pages of a site at one time

scifin
06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
From time to time I need to change the address of a link from one thing to another, when i do I then have to open every page of my site that has that link opn it and change each page to reflect the new address. Is there a way to change all of the pages at once instead of having to make the exact same change on each and every individual page?

Maybe there's an extension or something to do this?

Christy
06-01-2006, 08:25 PM
You should have your navigation in an INCLUDE file. That way, you just have to change ONE file and it will change all the pages where the include resides.

Another way you can do this is to do a GLOBAL REPLACE of that link, but you'll have to make sure it's not anywhere else that you don't want to change because that change can't be undone.

scifin
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
do you know of any good tutorials on the subject? I've heard of SSIs before but I didn't know what they heck they were until yesterday.

Christy
06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
http://websitetips.com/ssi/

This page should help you out.

scifin
06-02-2006, 06:20 PM
right on. thanks for da help.

centurypixel
06-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Unless you have the link as part of your uneditable region of the template, changing it on the template would update the link.

Whether you use templates or server-side-includes, you can ALWAYS use Search and Replace functionality of the DW.

Go in the code view:
Let say the you see something like this:
link (link.htm)
1) Copy that whole line even if it wraps in code view
2) Go to Find and Replace under Edit menu.
3) Change 'Find In' field to 'Entire site' and change the Search field to Source from Text.
4) Paste what you have copied in step #1 to Find and to the Replace field.
5) Edit the Replace field to the new link.
For example: newlinklink (newlink.htm)

Good luck.[/url]

scifin
06-02-2006, 08:05 PM
So if I wanted to do all the pages on my site (that's if they all use the same nav links on each of the pages for example) then I could use Find & Replace and then select Current Local site and it'll swap out the info on all the pages? That makes it so I don't need to use an SSI?