PDA

View Full Version : lock the menu ???

friday
05-27-2006, 06:38 PM
sorry posted this in the wrong place!! (templates!)
Hi,
I' v got a template for a site I want to Re-create using css, the template consists of - (simulating frames) - a side and top panel and a 'main" area for the page to go - I need to know how I can set the top and left sides in place so they do not scroll up with the rest of the page, I'll be placing the navigation buttons on the left, and I really would prefer these to lock in place! same with the top, which will be mainly for a header image of the site, though it will also have 3 or 4 nav' buttons.
So questions are - how to lock top and side sections , and also how to set the navigation buttons so the clicked page opens up in the "main' area... just, as I say.. simulating a frames site.
many many thanks
Stu'

dthomsen8
05-28-2006, 01:12 AM
What you want is a two column design. Here are several of them:

http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/

You can find many more on any search engine asking for "two column design" or "CSS two column design" and of course there are three column designs, too, but maybe you will be satisfied with a two column fluid design.

friday
05-28-2006, 03:32 AM
a quick look at that page.. but I don't see an example of any with a side column that's fixe in place - does Not scroll with the rest of the page, but stays in place.... as for the top header area doing the same - I might be able to achieve this with a top "header" ( as apposed to a footer), wonder if headers would stay in place? and not disappear out the top of the page when you scroll down ?
I'l have more spare time later, in a few hours time.. and wil go over that page again.. maybe I missed something.
many thanks.. much appreciated :)

chriskq
05-29-2006, 06:49 AM
just make the rightside of your page scrollable.
with margin: 0auto;

this way you cacn keep scrolling on the right side of the page whilst teh left and header divs will stay constent