PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question about Resolution

gbw
05-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Everyone.
I am a new user to Dreamweaver, having used Front Page for some time. I think I have made the right move!
However I have one of those typical beginner's problems which i am sure someone can put me right on.
I have created a site which uses layers and I turn layers off and on to select different pictures.
My pc is set to a graphic setting of 96 dpi for fonts and as I would expect my page composition doesn't change however I set my screen resolution. The pages look exactly as designed.
I have found one user who has his dpi set to something higher than 96. This totally screws the page layout and the layers stay a fixed size so the text gets cropped.
Can I design so that different display font settings are taken into account?

domedia
05-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I've never ever heard about anyone changing the dpi, so I think your friend is pretty much unique :) I wouldn't worry about it at all.

gbw
05-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Presumably if someone had poor eyesight they could change the dpi because that seems to have the effect (unfortunately!) of making the font within a webpage bigger. All the careful formatting gets shuffled round because you get less words on each line.
Just changing to LargeFonts in the Appearance tab doesn't have this effect. All windows displayed fonts are bigger but the internals of the webpage don't change (hooray!)
Using Tables seem to cope with it but convert your tables to layers and they just run out of room and then start to overlap each other.
In my text styles I had used "small" rather than a specific point size. Just experimenting to see if specifying a point size fixes everything. The problem is that it is a real pain to test because changing the dpi means a reboot everytime.

domedia
05-27-2006, 03:55 PM
dpi = dot per inch and is not the same as chaning font size for windows or changing defauly font size through your browser controls.

gbw
05-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I think I have got my head round it. It does seem that changing the dpi setting was upsetting my layout on the webpage. None of the other settings (screen resolution or Windows font sizes) actually changed the page layout. Otherthings in the general windows screens changed but my webpages were not.
The problem seemed to be that unlike using frames to control the layout, the layers were less flexible and coused overlapping in some areas which muddled the font.
The problem seemed to come down to the fact that in my css settings I had used "small" rather than a font size. When I substituted a font size everything remained consistent and din't vary with the dpi setting.
This seems to have solved my problem - I only hope that my conclusion:
"Always specify font in point size rather than as "small", "medium" etc
- doesn't have another down side as yet undiscovered.

dthomsen8
05-28-2006, 01:18 AM
I only hope that my conclusion:
"Always specify font in point size rather than as "small", "medium" etc
- doesn't have another down side as yet undiscovered.

You have reached a conclusion that I did early on, but now I doubt it.

There are many arguments about this, but there is plenty of expert opinion which favors specifying font sizes in "em" rather than the print oriented point size, in CSS.

gbw
05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
No one wants their carefully constructed formatted layout to change from one viewer to another. Using "em" seems to allow changes which, from my limited experience of frames in FrontPage is not a problem. However, that wasn't what I observed with frames converted into layers where text overlapped into adjacent frames if it got larger than the space I had allowed within the frame.
Could someone set out the definitive approach here, it would be much appreciated.