PDA

View Full Version : extra empty lines keep showing up in code

stephiesmith
05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
This is driving me crazy. I have deleted extra (empty) lines in my source code a couple of times now, but when I reopen the page to add something to it, extra empty lines are in there again. So this page has almost 5,000 lines in it, which takes a long time to scroll through when making changes. Does anyone know how I can make Dreamweaver 8 stop putting those empty lines back in? I've gone through Preferences and can't find anything related to this and searching Help didn't help. I know I can collapse the code, but I don't want it collapsed. I just don't want all these extra lines in between lines of text.

See example below.

The

Industrial Revolution by James A. Corrick. This excellent

book is part of the World History Series. Covers changes

in daily life due to the industrial revolution. Has good

timeline of inventions.

[/list]

[/list]

Thanks for any help with this.

domedia
05-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Tell us more, are you ftp'ing files back and fort from server, or are you only working on a local copy?

In your preferences, there is an option on how to save linebreaks, unix or windows (if I remember right). But whatever the value is, just change it to the other option, this was the case when I experienced this the first time.

stephiesmith
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm ftp'ing with FileZilla. I just got rid of some extra lines and closed the file, then reopened it locally. It was as I left it. Then I ftp'd and copied it to my site, then copied it back and opened it locally and it was still as I left it. And I had noticed the last time I went through and deleted all the extra lines that the next couple of times I opened it, it was the way I left it, but then one day I opened it and it was 5,000 lines long again.

I just checked the line break thing you mentioned. It was set for Windows (other choices are Mac and Unix). I changed it to Unix and did the same as above and the lines stayed as I left them for now. I will see if this changes in the future.

Should I have it on Unix anyway? I set it to Windows because my PC is Windows, but I am not on a Windows server at my hosting company LunarPages.com. It's Apache. I don't know if that is Unix or not.

Thanks for your help.

domedia
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
apache is most likely unix, so I think you're good now! :)