PDA

View Full Version : What type of Navigation is this? + some help with my website

NO.FX
05-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi there,

I have been asked to create a website for the geography department in my college and i have made this design (see attachment).

On the left of my design where i have the site nav what type of menu is that? I dont yet no how to make this type of menu in dreamweaver and i was hoping there were some tutorials on how to do such navigation? Does any1 no of any?

I also want only the middle part of the page to change and was wondering if i should use iframes of not?

On the right of my design i have those links like google etc, i wanted them so that when the user typed in the field and click one of the radio buttons it would send them directly to the page with all the results? is this sort of thing hard to achieve and does it involve CGI script? I am unsure of how i will make the code change depending on which radio button i press and it will work? Does anyone no of any tutorials on how to make these aswell?

Also this design is only my second design i have ever made for a website so any constructive crits about the designa and how to improve it will be grately appreciated.

thanx alot

Tom

domedia
05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
On the left of my design where i have the site nav what type of menu is that? I dont yet no how to make this type of menu in dreamweaver and i was hoping there were some tutorials on how to do such navigation? Does any1 no of any? You can do it any way you want to. I'd use a bullet list (ul's and li's) because it actually is a list of links.
A great resource for styling lists is Listamatic:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

I also want only the middle part of the page to change and was wondering if i should use iframes of not? Don't use them. You'll face many kinds of problems if you do (usability wise, search engines, etc.) Iframes are used for embedding other pages, it's a typical beginner error to use iframes (or frames) for everything. You have several options. You can use server side includes, a content management solution, or just simply the template system already built into DW. If you are not familiar with the template system. you should read some tutorials fast on it to get familiar (or hit F1 for built in lessons in DW)

On the right of my design i have those links like google etc, i wanted them so that when the user typed in the field and click one of the radio buttons it would send them directly to the page with all the results? is this sort of thing hard to achieve and does it involve CGI script? I am unsure of how i will make the code change depending on which radio button i press and it will work? Does anyone no of any tutorials on how to make these aswell? Google has all this for you. They have an API for developers to use their search features. You might want to get together with a programmer on this, it sounds like it might be too advanced for you.
http://www.google.com/apis/