PDA

View Full Version : question

fodder
05-24-2006, 02:02 PM
can you make better website using dreamweaver rather than just coding a website without a design view?!?!

interested to know whether you can make kick ass sites without using a program such as dreamweaver with the design view capability....

d a v e
05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
"interested to know whether you can make kick ass sites without using a program such as dreamweaver with the design view capability...."

yes i can. as to whether you or other people can, well it depends on whether they know their stuff and are comfortable coding. all you really need is a text editor, but design view certainly offers a quicker way for editing and visualising, at least for mortals ;)

domedia
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Chances are that most kick-a** CSS websites have not been touched by DW at all :)

dthomsen8
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
can you make better website using dreamweaver rather than just coding a website without a design view?!?!

interested to know whether you can make kick ass sites without using a program such as dreamweaver with the design view capability....

Some people can do it without Dreamweaver or another GUI/WYSIWYG development tool, but Dreamweaver is quicker and easier, once you learn to use the graphical features instead of doing hand coding.

It is always good to be able to read the XHTML/HTML, though. Struggling to solve problems with the results of a Design Window page without knowing HTML is very difficult. We know this for sure in this forum, when newbies come here for help.

fodder
05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
do any of you have examples of sites that you have just simply coded?!

i was one of the noobs who just dived into DW and not understand a word of the coding..... but i am slowly but surely learning to do a site just using coding.....

for me websites using just coding at the moment look pants as I havent learnt any of the complicated stuff yet......

------------
but reading a book ive got they showed me the : http://validator.w3.org which is pretty interesting...... tested the sites i have made and they are full of errors - about 24 errors but due to not fully understanding the code DW wrote I havent a clue how to sort it..... but over time im sure i will get it in the end..... well hopefully

domedia
05-24-2006, 08:29 PM
The majority of the larger websites were created by handcoders. Some of them are starting to use CSS for layout as well. www.aol.com, www.wired.com .. more and more of the larger websites are doing the conversion to CSS now. All the designs at http://www.csszengarden.com/ were handcoded.

If you find a cool website in the future, view source, and see how they did it :) most will probably be table based, as there still is plenty of people that has to move away from table hacks ;)

fodder
05-24-2006, 08:50 PM
mozart looks absolutely amazing.........

at first i was thinking..... how on earth did the person get all the boxes, text in the right place on the page without using any pixel details, etc......

does the css define the locations of all the text boxes, etc?

just amazed how few lines of code he managed to do it in...

sorry to ask so many questions!