PDA

View Full Version : valiation

edbr
05-23-2006, 02:41 AM
having followed the difference of view point about validation in another thread, i was inspired to check it some of my work out.
although html validated ok, (allowing blind people to read the alt tags also?), the css warned that my tags for text contained no background colour. as I have text over a background image I dont want a background colour. is there a way aroung this?

domedia
05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
If you read the warning carefully, you'll see that you have to set a value for the CSS property. That' doesn't mean it has to be a *color*, set it to 'none' if you want to :)
background-image is put on top of background-color, so it really isn't a problem for you.

edbr
05-24-2006, 01:54 AM
sorry didnt explain that very well. for the divisions there was no prob it is rather with p, hi,h2 etc tags. I actually dont want a background for these, . this was the prob with text over the background image. this is the WARNINGSs I got

Line : 49 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a
Line : 55 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a:link
Line : 61 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a:visited
Line : 67 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a:hover
Line : 74 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : p
Line : 83 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : h1
Line : 92 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : h2
Line : 100 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : h3
Line : 110 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : h4

They dont come up as errors as such. should I ignore them?

d a v e
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
just use

background-color: transparent;

though it is only a warning if it makes sense you cna ignore it.

domedia
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Warnings are not needed to comply with to have valid code. There are scenarios where user might set a background color, and if it is the same as your link colors, they can't read anything. Think of them more as usability/accessability suggestions :) I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

edbr
05-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks I wont lose sleep then.
Dave thanks but it would not accept transparent or none as valid. I got the same warnings back

dthomsen8
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks I wont lose sleep then.
Dave thanks but it would not accept transparent or none as valid. I got the same warnings back

Sometimes "inherit" is the right answer to these warnings, if you want them to go away. These are warnings, not errors. I take them to mean they are hints about something that could go wrong, and I like to learn what is happening.

The alt tag only works with the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. In some forum discussions, accessibility advocates will criticize not providing them.

domedia
05-25-2006, 12:48 PM
edbr, the validation should has a link for further explaining the warning, follow it and see what it tells you.

edbr
05-26-2006, 01:42 AM
thanks, "inherit" won the coconut.
although not too worried I'm happy it validates now. I have just converted main site to div.s rather than tables and am happy it all seems ok now

dthomsen8
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
thanks, "inherit" won the coconut.
although not too worried I'm happy it validates now. I have just converted main site to div.s rather than tables and am happy it all seems ok now

Provide us with the URL and we may have more suggestions for you. I am glad that "inherit" did the trick for you.

edbr
05-27-2006, 05:45 AM
thanks will do when I have finished playing about with it