PDA

View Full Version : SQL & Dreamweaver basic ?

fmkjr
05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Is there a way I can use dreamweaver to "create" a SQL site or do I use a different application to create the sql database (access or?) and then use dreamweaver to create the site... I do not know sql code but...

I am attempting to take a very large excel application and convert to an internal web based application...

thanks
frank

HeadAche
05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
There are loads of apps out there that can help you build your sql base through a GUI interface. I use something called MySQL Front... check it out.

fmkjr
05-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Which would be the best book to learn using SQL and Dreamweaver together?

thanks
frank

dthomsen8
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM

Even though I had been using Dreamweaver MX 2004 for over a year, I recently took a Dreamweaver college course, using the book "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX H.O.T. Hands on Training" by Garo green and Abigail Rudner, Peachpit Press. This book comes with a CD, and leads the student through exercises using the CD material in learning DW fairly thoroughly. It does not cover PHP or MySQL, but there are many books for that.

My tendency was, and to some extent still is to write HTML in the DW code window. The book and class was a way for me to use the GUI/WYSIWYG methods in Dreamweaver, which are faster and easier than hand coding.

dthomsen8
05-21-2006, 02:12 PM
There are loads of apps out there that can help you build your sql base through a GUI interface. I use something called MySQL Front... check it out.

Thanks, HeadAche, for the tip. Lurkers, check out http://www.mysqlfront.com which has full information and even a trial version. Purchase price is only $35 for 1 or 2 licenses.

fmkjr
05-21-2006, 11:56 PM
I have been using Dreamweaver since version 3 but never had the need for SQL. There are a few on Amazon that received good ratings...

frank

HeadAche
05-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks HeadAche for the tip. Lurkers, check out http://www.mysqlfront.com which has full information and even a trial version. Purchase price is only $35 for 1 or 2 licenses.

Thats alright mate. You should make sure you upgrade from the trail version :roll: . Even the VB programers in the place I work who can create an SQL table with both hands tied behind their backs use this just becasue it is so fast and simple. Learning SQL code will be a definate benefit (SELECT Advice FROM Myself WHERE Name = 'HeadAche'), yes I still need to do this myself.

Ive tried a few books out for PHP and / or dreamweaver mx2004, but there was one book which really got the ball rolling for me where the built -in dwmx2004 PHP server behaviours are concerned, and this book was... THIS (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590593502/qid=1148582348/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-2406181-8060758)

The book takes you through the basics all the way to some more advanced stuff. You start of by making an app to enter your CD collection which make use of all the major functions. You also learn to write some simple PHP additions to go with the server behaviours, which I liked. Then the second project is building members site (sort of like this site). The book also covers some basic dreamweaver and CSS skills, i never read these but its pretty cool they included them.

Once i had been through the book, I had a hunger for more. I found the book opened up my imagination for what you can aheive with PHP and mySQL, but at the same time found that the built in functions in dreamweaver are soooooooo very, very limited.

My ball(s) gained further motion with the help of a mod on here, DavidJ, and I am now HAND CODING 'if else' statments asif it is second nature to me, blinging up my PHP app's and increase their functionality and complexity. I get abit cocky sometimes and realise that I still have a great deal more to learn.

One of the harder parts of getting going with PHP and DWMX is setting up MySQL and a Server on your PC... If you liked my tip about MySQL Front, the you will love this one.

If you want to use mysql and PHP with dreamweaver, then you NEED sql and apache server installing on your PC. It can be a very ugly thing to do, but there is something that makes this process very simple for you, its called WAMP Server (google it, download it, and install it), this does it all for you.

Get into PHP - you will never look back.

fmkjr
05-26-2006, 11:58 AM
thanks for the tips...

I will definately check out this book...
frank

nanny
05-31-2006, 01:11 AM
To get php, mysql, apache and a few other selections on your machine in one hit is also by using AppServe I tried a few first before loving this one.
Cheers.