PDA

View Full Version : ok ok, starting over and in desperate need of help

VelcroBP
05-18-2006, 01:34 AM
OK, so I think that my original ideas are fatally flawed by my ability to understand what's involved with image size in relation to what's displayed on the webpage. How do I simply go from a Photoshop image created for me, to Dreamweaver? Is there specific dimensions I request all canvas sizes for "full-screen" images be? How do I properly resize images in Fireworks without distortion?

I guess that all the reading I did before starting failed to prepare me for the simple tasks of the INITIAL design process, how to properly use Photoshop or Fireworks to set up a design. 'cause where I'm at now, all my images are WAY too huge upon insertion in Dreamweaver, and all attempts to resize/resample or whatever have ended in humiliating failure and anger. I need to get this site up soon, and I don't believe that a TOTAL redisign is in order. I just need to know the most common methods of setting up a design in Photoshop or Fireworks that will translate easily to a single, non scrolling web page.

kona72
05-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Make sure that when you are intially designing the layout in PhotoShop that the dimension are what you diser. (ie" 780px wide by 600px tall) Also ensure that you use the 'save for web' command under file>save for web.

dthomsen8
05-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Some web designers create a rough design on paper. Then they use the design window of Dreamweaver to create the overall design with tables and use placeholders for the images. Then they create the images, or modify digital photographs to fit the placeholder spaces. If there are available logos or other graphics before doing the design, they can be accomodated in the tables as appropriate. Table layouts are the classic way to make web sites, but the use of Cascading Style Sheets is increasingly popular.

Making an overall design in Photoshop or another graphics program like Paint Shop Pro, and using that as a tracing image in Dreamweaver is another way to do a design. I am supposing that is what you have been trying to do.

Look around on the web for designs done for the kind of web site you are trying to develop. Tell us the kind of business or web site you want, and we may have some suggestions, too.