PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Way to learn dreamweaver

daveball
05-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi all, I am new to web design, but I have tried it b4 and got lost in dreamweaver as its such a big programme.
I have bought dreamweaver 8 studio and a tutorial (video) to go with it and I am determined to make it work for me this time.I am looking to make a part time hobby from it .
what I need to know is what should I learn 1st , fireworks or dreamweaver,
or would any one have any tips on learning from the start, appreciate any feedback u may have,
The newbie :arrow:

ranjan
05-17-2006, 11:40 PM
The BEST way to learn Dreamweaver is NOT to learn it.

The question you ask is like asking. Hey I want to be a writer... What would be the best way to learn to write with "Brand XYZ" PEN?

If you asked a question like that, the answer would be Learn the language and you can use any pen. Its not important that you learn to use a pen its important to learn the language.

The Language here is HTML and the Pen is Dreamweaver

Moral of the story: If you learn to use a pen you would only know how to scribble!

edbr
05-18-2006, 02:57 AM
I feel a little differently from ranjan. Making a website began as part time interest for me. I found that by using dreamweaver and even at first some wasted time on front page,I quickly saw results. I learned from trial and error. looking at what other people had created, copying their source codes and slowly (in my case) I began to get it. If I had had to try and learn html to begin with I would have quit.
Learn dreamweaver first.

johnworf
06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
video tutorials are an excellent way of learning - books i find are very difficult to learn from as you tend to get bored or lose the plot after a couple of chapters - but with video tutorials you can just sit back and watch - so much easier.

You can also see exactly what buttons the person is pressing as you follow along...

www.tutorials-4-you.com is an excellent example for this - i can heartily recommend the dreamweaver mx 2004 tutorial which has some nice stuff on php as well - at over 12 hours long it's also very comprehensive.

markthedoc
06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
I would recommend using both video tutorials & books, depending on your circumstances.
Video tutorials are great cos you can sit at home & watch them just like you would a film, and books are great to read at work, or on the train or something like that. Be careful what books you buy though cos some will bore the pants off you!

johnworf
06-13-2006, 10:03 AM
well with video tutorials and a laptop you can watch them anywhere you want anyway - you don't have to be connected to the internet - once you've downloaded them once they are on your system - they even let you burn them onto disc and take them to work (without paying a second licence - they say as long as it's for you or your families use they aren't bothered - a refreshing change!) - let's face it to really learn you need to do as well - so the best way to learn is to make sure you get a video tutorial which has narration - there are plenty which have the clicking and they are okay i guess - but they are incredibly boring.

The tutorials-4-you.com video tutorials are great because the narration is really good - you can actually follow it along without watching the guy do it - just have the video running underneath your open project - but rather just by listening to him - and if you get stuck or lose track you can then look at the open video tutorial - rewind if necessary a few seconds and go over it again.

The guy's voice is really good as he doesn't sound like Kermit the frog either!

becky gelke
06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
there are also loads of tutorials on lynda.com they seem pretty good too, not sure what everyone else thinks.

dthomsen8
06-13-2006, 11:41 AM
there are also loads of tutorials on lynda.com they seem pretty good too, not sure what everyone else thinks.

http://www.lynda.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=439

is the Dreamweaver 8 book in that series, much like the DW MX 2004 book that I used in a college course this winter. These books have excellent exercises, provided on a CD with the book. My biggest benefit from the book and class was to concentrate on using GUI/WYSIWIG techniques in the design window instead of using HTML in the code window.

Courses, books, videos and classes all can provide information, but also the discipline to learn new techniques whether or not you see the use for them in what you want to accomplish.

Beyond that, remember that you have help right here in this forum when you get stuck on some concept.