PDA

View Full Version : off to warmer places

Andromeda
05-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Well like Chrisk I too will pack my bags and travel. I'm travelling half way round the world to England because it's too cold here in kiwiland and I don't like the recent spate of earthquakes. I won't have internet (that will be a novel experience) and the people I'm staying with don't even have a shower! I'll have to wash at the bathroom sink or take a bath. Talk about going back to the dark ages!

I leave next Wednesday and will be gone for a month so if I stop posting I'm not being rude or too busy...just without internet.

Davidj - is it possible for you to reveal the winner of the contest before next Wednesday??? Otherwise I shall be left wondering for a whole month.

blanchard
05-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Have fun :D
and Yes who has won the comp?

edbr
05-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Britain has' warmer climes'?

Andromeda
05-18-2006, 02:46 AM
LOL! If it's compared with what Wellington has been like the last week then YES!

It is spring over there so I can hope :lol:

RickB
05-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Couple of things before you depart:

1/ Pack warm a cold weather clothing. We had a very warm spell a week back but colder weather in on the way back.

2/ Brings lots of water! Hard to believe but there are official drought warnings in force in parts of southern England. Oh yes, and it's raining now.

3/ Don't plan on watching any TV for a while unless you're a football fan or have voyeuristic tendancies: A new series of Big Brother starts this week and the World Cup is not far behind it!

Other than that, have a great trip! :wink:

dthomsen8
05-20-2006, 09:52 AM
LOL! If it's compared with what Wellington has been like the last week then YES!

It is spring over there so I can hope :lol:

I was there in May last year, and the weather was fine, only some occasional showers, and sometimes cool enough for a jacket.

Bring plenty of money, to an American, almost everything seemed expensive, and I read that the tube in London has gone up a lot since then. My wife and I were staying with her sister in East London, so we didn't pay for lodging, but we did many of the usual tourist things.

Without Internet? Not required, there are plenty of Internet cafes, where for modest fees, you can visit us, just like home.

I didn't know that New Zealand has earthquakes, though.

edbr
05-20-2006, 10:46 AM
When i go back to UK, i find the best way to get internet access is to go to the local library. They provide free access for up to an hour.
If your go to east london you have got to try "pie and mash' with lots of pepper and chilli vinegar on it.!!!

dthomsen8
05-20-2006, 02:32 PM
When i go back to UK, i find the best way to get internet access is to go to the local library. They provide free access for up to an hour.
If your go to east london you have got to try "pie and mash' with lots of pepper and chilli vinegar on it.!!!

The library in Forest Gate told me I needed a local sponsor if I didn't live there, which was too much trouble. Maybe it depends on the location.

Andromeda
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
RickB, OK. That's settled. I pack two pairs of jeans and not one! Water weighs too much to pack :lol: and I'll avoid TV like the plague!

dthomsen8, I will take LOTS of money. Hadn't thought about internet cafe, maybe I'll find out who won the competition after all. NZ has earthquakes all the time.

edbr, thanks. I'll check out the local library and drag my mum with me incase I need a local sponsor!