PDA

View Full Version : newbie image resize/auto-fullscreen questions..

VelcroBP
05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Hello, first time webdesign/Dreamweaver guy here. I've spent a few weeks reading over "the Lost Manual" for Dreamweaver MX 2004 before finally picking up a copy and getting started on my first site. Now, I feel I have a decent understanding, have done all the turorials included in this book, and am looking forward to utilizing the CSS Layer tools extensively.

That said, I'm having a perturbing problem that was not covered in this book. All of the sample images are for static sized banners and smaller graphics. I would like to use one LARGE image as my entire site, with several other images placed arround, using multiple layers and several hide/show actions and mousever silliness.

The problem is, I cannot determine what the best way is to go about achieving the fullscreen with no-scrollbars effect. Is there a set image/canvas size that I should use in Photoshop or Fireworks (have both) before loading the image? Is there a script to have the image automatically adjust depending on the users screen size/resolution settings? I feel fully ready to embark on the more complicated aspects such as the layers and all the show/hide type stuff, but I cannot even get passed the simple aspect of defining the images dimensions! I know that I must be overlooking something simple here, but I needed to turn to an advanced knowledge base as I'm under a low-preassure sort of deadline and would really love to get rocking on this ASAP!

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read my little novel up there and all replies are desperately needed!!

VelcroBP
05-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Or, would I be best off having the repeating portion of my image set to the pages background, and chop the rest into smaller images? I know this is probably the best way to go about it, however, the .PSD that contains the main image has been flattened. I'd hate to have to ask my buddy to redo all the text that he came up with just so i can have a clean version of the background image. So, if there is a workaround for this I would love to try that instead. Thanks again.

dthomsen8
05-16-2006, 07:35 PM
That said, I'm having a perturbing problem that was not covered in this book. All of the sample images are for static sized banners and smaller graphics. I would like to use one LARGE image as my entire site, with several other images placed arround, using multiple layers and several hide/show actions and mousever silliness.

One large image is sure to be slow.

Putting the text in the image is a sure way to have search engine robots ignore your site.

Having a design for a large screen is not always the best approach, depending on your intended audience. Fluid designs may well be what you want.

You don't provide enough information for us to be of much help, but what you do say indicates that you have not given enough thought to your design.

VelcroBP
05-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm not really sure what type of design I was looking for. As I said, this is my first. But if one image will load extremely slowly, I'm open for an alternative. What is this liquidity you mention? Could someone be kind enough to link to a thread/FAQ?