PDA

View Full Version : Resizing To Scale

Alegrio
05-15-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a ton of pics to convert to a size of 140x110px could also do as 100x100px.
I have tried batch convert in FW and end up with distortion, is there anyway in FW or any program to resize to scale without distortions..
I also have Adobe...

Originals are all various sizes....

Thanks.

d a v e
05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
use fit to area instead, though of course if they are different proportions you will lose some of the image one way or another

domedia
05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Both Fireworks and Photoshop should be able to do this without too much trouble. Have you ever made a custom action in Photoshop? Or it's batch function?

Alegrio
05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi,
Thanks, I have tried the fit to area, but end up with distortion
When I try the batch/scale 144x104, I get the length but not width.
If I am able to get the width starting with a pic that is narrower than the 144 it adds 50 lbs. to every girl...

Thanks..

domedia
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
You must be doing something wrong.. you're not explaining your process so I can't tell really.
This is not as hard as it seems.
http://www.stern.nyu.edu/it/guides/batchresize.html
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1817304&postcount=1

If your images above is your result, they look fine. You wont be able to retain more detail in a thumb image than that, unless you add 2 steps of resizing and sharpen the image slightly between each resize.

Alegrio
05-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi,
Sorry,
I am trying to resize the bottom photo to 144 w x 104 h with the complete picture and no distortion. I have used the batch/convert with scale at the 144 x 104, it sets the height but the width sets at 63

domedia
05-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Yes, you said you tried that.
Did you try any of the links I gave you in the previous post?
You might just want to create your own Action.

Alegrio
05-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Yes, just not getting it...
In the second tuturiol, the fellow stated that you could not size both ways, is this the problem...
I created a action and still things size out of proportion as in second photo
{second photo is size every pic needs to be...
sorry :oops:

d a v e
05-19-2006, 12:59 PM
am i missing something or just confused?

if you picture doesn't fit the proportions of the destination then you either will end up with a squashed picture (as above) or you need to crop it to the right proportions

i'm sure in fireworks (and possibly ps) if you fit to AREA then it will crop the image for you, otherwise manually crop the image to either 144 w x 104 h or a multiple therof (such as 288 x 108... before resizing)

have a look in the help files for bath processing and the resize options and FIT TO AREA/max width - maxheight

davidj
05-19-2006, 01:40 PM
i dont want this thread to end

keep posting...

:shock:

domedia
05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
The second tutorial did not state what you said, what it said was:
"We want all our images to be consistently the same size and maintain their aspect ratio, so they look like the original, only smaller. However, we can only do this in one direction. When you execute the image size command in an Action. The action will only change the dimension that you have changed in the “Image Size” dialog box." That simply means that you have to be alert, and not do the mistake you're making.

What you have to make sure is that the height changes when you change width and vice versa. To keep the proportions, simply make sure 'Constrain Proportions' is checked in the Image Size window. This is on by default, so you changed it at one point.

Alegrio
05-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all your help, I will keep working on it...sensing a bit of impatiance here amongst the great!

* Davidj *
Some girls look great in a dress and some girls can resize graphics to scale,
If I meet a girl who can do both, I will ask her to private message you :D

domedia
05-21-2006, 03:21 PM
No impatience, you're just missing one checkbox in the whoel process, you need the images to resize while keeping their proportions :)

blanchard
05-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Because all of your pictures are different sizes to begin with when batch processing you will only manage to get the width or height set to the same size the only way to achieve what you want is to use the crop tool in photoshop and type the measurements in the blank fields just below the menus at the top of the screen.