PDA

View Full Version : meta tags

zofiaphoto
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I just posted my site last week. I wrote a meta tag description and keywords on my main page and a couple others, but when I search myself my site doesn't come up.....?
It's www.zofiaphoto.com. Thanks.

Also I know the gallery pages are still kinda slow. Working on fixing the problem, any ideas? Please answer in simple form, this is my first DW attempt!

dthomsen8
05-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I just posted my site last week. I wrote a meta tag description and keywords on my main page and a couple others, but when I search myself my site doesn't come up.....?
It's www.zofiaphoto.com!

Actually, nowdays the search engines don't pay much attention to <meta> information. It doesn't do any harm to put it in, and you have done a good job, but there are other ways to get into search engine listings.

The easiest one is to get your URL listed elsewhere. Start searching on phrases like "Nantucket photography" and see what your competition and colleagues have done to get listed. You are on www.nantucket.net as a photographer. There are sure to be other places to get listed for free or inexpensively.

If you can get mentioned in local forums, do so. It is especially good to get your satisfied clients to mention how happy they are with your photos for their wedding.

Now that you have a good web site, make sure your URL is on everything you send out on paper, such as business cards, letterheads, invoices, receipts, checks, whatever.

Don't neglect anywhere you can get your URL mentioned on a paid basis, such as classified ads in newspapers.

There are whole books and entire web sites devoted to getting listed in search engines, and improving your rank once listed. I have given you only a basic start on a big subject.

Search on "search engine optimization" for far more on the subject. However, beware of those ads or services promising results that sound too good to be true. Worse than not true, they can make your results worse, even get you removed from some search engines.

dthomsen8
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
You should realize that your menu links are shown in Times New Roman because you specify only one script font, and no default font at all.

All script fonts specified by name are not popular, so many users will wind up with their browser default, mostly Times New Roman. See my attachment.

I saw this by examining your code. Consider other scripts, and a default font.