PDA

View Full Version : Mass Bandwidth needed - what would you do?

HeadAche
05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey hey...

Just been hit with this today. We host and run quite a large football/soccer website, they want to host some video files for download / streaming of a couple of footy games. The files are about 150Mb in size and will be downloaded by god knows how many people (possibly 500 downloads, maybe 1000, maybe even more - the website averages about 2500 hits a day, with a total last month of 113,224 hits).

The bandwidth costs with our host could reach amazingly high amounts of mulla.

I have never been faced with a situation like this before and am feeling the pressure. Are there any free large file host servers out there with unlimited bandwith, or is this just a dream...

What would you do in this situation?

domedia
05-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Id' spent a little money.. why risk the whole concept of showing video content because you wanted something for free? You can spend less than a buck a day and get the bandwidth needed to host the files :)

HeadAche
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Im sure I can acommadate that, who would you recommend yourself?

We are with someone called DSVR at the minute. We get 15Gig bandwidth a month, and then get charged @ 4p per Mb over... if we had 1000 people downloading the vid, that would be 150Gig's worth of bandwidth and allot of mulla.

I would prefear a good file hosting company to web site host as I would need to load somesort of domain name on there before I could upload files with a url to get at them...

domedia
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
150gig is absolutely doable on a budget.
If a $7 domain is too much to spend ( ;) ), you can assign a subdomain to the new host instead, like video.yourdomain.com.

Actually, 1and1.com has the bandwidth you need for under $3 a month..
I use it for one of my sites, and they're ok.