PDA

View Full Version : ver simple table question

thalassicus
05-04-2006, 07:15 AM
I have been working on a website with the same layout of this site:

http://www.customcarsunlimited.com/index2.htm

I really like how each new “page” shows up in the middle table while the rest of the page doesn't seem to reload. I've created the table with the overall layout, flash menu, and the images I want. How do I put it all together so that each “page” just show up in the middle table when I click on the menu buttons?

Thanks.

domedia
05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
It's done with frames. DW ahs full support to make these, hit F1 and search for frames.
But by applying it, you're kissing goodbye to seo and accessability. You might like it, but it's going to make the site harder to use for your visitors and harder to find individual pages by search engines. It's an archaic technique, mostly implemented by designers new to the web. :)

dthomsen8
05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
I have been working on a website with the same layout of this site:

http://www.customcarsunlimited.com/index2.htm

I really like how each new “page” shows up in the middle table while the rest of the page doesn't seem to reload. I've created the table with the overall layout, flash menu, and the images I want. How do I put it all together so that each “page” just show up in the middle table when I click on the menu buttons?

Thanks.

Domedia is right, avoid frames and you will have a better result. Maybe you can use Cascading Style Sheet layouts instead, or use JavaScript for your effects.

Too bad you have put a lot of work into copying someone else's web site, but at least you can start over early, and maybe you can reuse some of your material in a better design.

Come share your URL with us when you have published your site. You can publish with a home page called "trial.htm" or "draft.htm" to avoid having the general public looking at your site before you are ready for them.

thalassicus
05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your response. I knew enough to know not to use frames, so I was trying to get that kind of layout using tables. I wasn’t sure if you could have an “active” box in the table that changed content based on what menu button you clicked.

I’ve just done the CSS tutorial in Dreamweaver and it seems like a great way to cut down on redundancy so I’m definitely going to start using it, but I’m not sure how to use CSS to change content. If anyone has a suggestion on how to do this, let me know.

So, if I do it the traditional way where I make 6 separate pages that are linked by the menu buttons, do I create a second flash menu that skips the opening animation and only has the animated buttons? I'm assuming I can't reuse my original flash menu as the entire animation sequence would replay every time they loaded a new page, right?

Thanks again.

domedia
05-04-2006, 05:12 PM
You don't use CSS to change content. Make a new page for each page you want on the website, for consistency you can use the template system.