PDA

View Full Version : Making Area Editable for Regular Users

Shooga
05-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi everyone.
Another newbie here... :wink:

I am creating an Intranet using DW and FW. I think I understand templates, but here is my question. Let's say I have a home page that will need the body text updated all the time with HR, Dining Hall info, etc... and I want the admin folks to do that (people with NO design experience). They do not have access to DW. How can this happen?
For example, would I have a notepad text file on the server that links into the index page body content area and they can just update that?

I have searched the forum & didn't find anything, but then perhaps I am using incorrect terms.

Thanks a trilllion for your help...cuz I need it bad!! :lol: :lol:
~Shooga
:wink:

Shooga
05-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I just did additional research while waiting for replies (cricket...cricket) :-D (just teasing)
and I read about DW's Contribute? Do any of you use if? Do you like it?

Again..thank you for your time!

~Shooga :wink:

domedia
05-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Contribute is created specifically for this reason, so I would give it a try. I did a trial version once and found it to work perfect. I think a copy of Contribute is (was) $100. It basically gives a simply user interface for client to update ediable areas. Give the trial versioan a try, you might like it alot :)

Shooga
05-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi Domedia - Thanks for your response!
My company is a startup and cannot afford the extra cost to buy Contribute. Whats worse is I will be leaving this company pretty soon so they won't have anyone to make these minor changes that they need.

So, not a whole needs to be updated by them. Mainly the home page with new announcements. Imagine a Banner, Horizontal Nav, Body content, and then bottom Nav. Is there a way to embed a Word doc or chart into the index page so that when the non-web developers update it in Word, it will then pull the info from the Word file? Please let me know your thoughts...... thanks!
~Shooga

Shooga
05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Any recommended Freeware instead of Contribute? :)

domedia
05-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Actually if client is going to use this, client has to purchase the license, so it's a cost for them not you.

I don't think there's any other piece of software integrating with Dreamweaver templates this way, but someone else might now more.

A simple content management system might work, but if I'm guessing correctly (correct if I'm wrong), you'll need help to either develop this (or find open source), and also implementing it, setting up DB, connections etc. so I think you'll have to set up some kind of budget for this either way. Contribute is by far imho the easy way out.