PDA

View Full Version : thumbnails taking too long to load

zofiaphoto
05-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty new to DW and I designed my site and then posted it today. Problem is that the 2 pages containing thumbnails and layers are taking a little long to load. I have a G4, I can only imagine that a slower PC with and slower browser than Safari would take even longer. The thumbnails are 2-3k each, so they're small, and each image in it's layer is about 38k totaling about 30 thumbs, plus 30 images in each layer/a page. Is the problem that there are too many thumbs or too many images/layers? And if so, what's a good solution...another page?
Thanks. Z

If this doesn't make much sense, sorry, please see www.zofiaphoto.com to get a better idea.

davidj
05-03-2006, 08:35 AM
if i understand this correctly you have a page which is over a MB

this would take time no matter what machine your using

i sugest using a CRAY then you wont notice any slow loading speeds

http://www.cray.com

dthomsen8
05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty new to DW and I designed my site and then posted it today. Problem is that the 2 pages containing thumbnails and layers are taking a little long to load. I have a G4, I can only imagine that a slower PC with and slower browser than Safari would take even longer. The thumbnails are 2-3k each, so they're small, and each image in it's layer is about 38k totaling about 30 thumbs, plus 30 images in each layer/a page. Is the problem that there are too many thumbs or too many images/layers? And if so, what's a good solution...another page?
Thanks. Z

If this doesn't make much sense, sorry, please see www.zofiaphoto.com to get a better idea.

Your results on pages like "Tradition" are magnficient. You may be new to Dreamweaver, but the photography is really excellent, and the presentation is very well done.

Having given you some praise, I must say that "a little long to load" is an understatement. I see a significant delay on Comcast high speed cable, and on DSL, it must be quite slow, and forget dial-up, it won't work. The reason for a long initial delay is that Dreamweaver provides JavaScript that preloads all the actual photos, not just the thumbnails. That is why the mouseover provides instant full size results. The final result is very good, but the delay in the preloading is more than you can tolerate. Your market must be more than those users on the highest speed lines.

I am not so confident about the solution, though. You could try taking out the preloading JavaScript, and seeing how it works when each full size photo is requested, but that might not be so good, either. Fewer photos on a page would help, but probably not enough. Maybe someone else in the forum will have a better idea.

dthomsen8
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Two additional suggestions:

Get someone else to proofread your whole web site. You have some typographical errors.

Also, look into disguising your email address, or your web site will let the SPAM email address harvesters get your email address and flood you with SPAM. Google will provide you with a number of web sites on email disguises.

zofiaphoto
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Thank you for your comments, that really helps. I made a few changes, resized my images and thumbnails and also fixed the typos. I still think it takes a little long. Is there a way to get the larger images to load only on hover rather than on load? Z

domedia
05-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Loading on hover would mean a delay until the image would appear (it has to load first), and is likely to confuse some users. Did you consider decreasing the amount of photos displaying on each page instead? That seems to be the main problem. You could even split some categories into 2 to make the load more efficient.

You could also provide a temporary image in place for the large on while it's loading, a generic img with the text 'Photo loading', but my js skills is not on the lvl to write you an example :)

zofiaphoto
05-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I really didn't want to make any more pages, but that's prob what I'll do. Ugh, oh well. Thanks again for all your help!

dthomsen8
05-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I really didn't want to make any more pages, but that's prob what I'll do. Ugh, oh well. Thanks again for all your help!

I tried the "Tradition" page again, and it was really slow this time, worse than before, probably because it is afternoon on the east coast, and the west coast is wide awake and doing plenty of Internet work, too. My first try was early in the morning, and that is why it was faster, but not good.

You have to do something different, or lose most of your audience. Let us know, we would like to see what you achieve next.

Oh, and the second line of "Tradition" has a thumbnail of the groom's bowtie, when his face is what we would expect.

dthomsen8
05-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I see now that what you have actually done is have fewer photos per page. The result is still slow to load on cable broadband, though.

Also, some of the photos overlap the lower peach colored bar, spoiling the overall effect. Maybe that could be adjusted somehow.