PDA

View Full Version : Image with transparent background shows white background

dthomasmaddox
05-02-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi,

Another simple, I'm probably doing this wrong but don't know how question.

A friend sent me an image, a gif with transparent background, to use as a site logo. Opened in Photoshop Elements, it shows no background. But when I insert it into a page, it shows up with a white background.

Is it something to do with being a gif? Something that needs to be set in properties? Something I need to do to the original image before inserting? Or ...?

Thanks,

Tom

Andromeda
05-02-2006, 06:16 AM
You'll have to make sure it's a transparent gif rather than just a gif. I'm not familiar with Photoshop Elements but maybe there is a setting you can pick for transparency.

dthomasmaddox
05-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Andromeda, you're right.

In PSE it has to be "Save for Web," then choose "GIF" from the "Preset" pop-up, then check "Transparency," then make a choice from the "Matte" pop-up. There are of course multiple choices, many of which I don't quite grasp, but that's the principle.

Thanks.

Tom Maddox

Andromeda
05-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm glad I could be of help! So often I feel everyone is helping me and I'm not helping anyone. It's nice to fiond a question I can answer.

dthomasmaddox
05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm glad I could be of help! So often I feel everyone is helping me and I'm not helping anyone. It's nice to fiond a question I can answer.

And I'm glad to validate your usefulness :)