PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver 8 vs Dreamweaver MX 2004

reznog12
05-02-2006, 05:36 AM
I upgraded to dreamweaver 8. However, most of the good tutorials i run into, especially on CSS are in DMX 2004. I was just curious...Is Dreamweaver 8 that much better than DMX 2004?

dthomsen8
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I upgraded to dreamweaver 8. However, most of the good tutorials i run into, especially on CSS are in DMX 2004. I was just curious...Is Dreamweaver 8 that much better than DMX 2004?

Software vendors are always improving their products, but much better? I doubt it. I thnk you will find that most good tutorials will teach you what you need to know in Dreamweaver. It takes time for tutorials and books to be published for a new version of any software, though.

davidj
05-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Is Dreamweaver 8 that much better than DMX 2004?

no

Creative Insanity
05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Absolutly not.. in fact I think that 2004 is less buggy in many aspects.

dthomsen8
05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Absolutly not.. in fact I think that 2004 is less buggy in many aspects.

Any evidence or references to back up that claim? I hope you are right, because I am reluctant to shell out over $200 to upgrade.

kona72
05-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Wierd...

I was just coming ont he board to post this eaxct question...
doo do do doo do do doo do dooooooo ( all twilight zone like...)

Thank for the answers though!!

davidj
05-03-2006, 09:22 AM
dreamweaver 8

has better CSS support with a new panel

supports XML and RSS Feeds

updated to work with php5 and (dot)NET technologies

it has a new coders tool bar (vertical in code view) which allows Code Collapsing, Comment Blocks in a drag and a click and a balance braces function (never used coz my code is sweet)

it still goes tits up when you try any of the following...

1) do anything that pushes DW outside its comfort zone!

if for instance you write an sprintf into a select statement and remove the function DW sets for any database interaction then you will loose any reference to any recorsets you had in the Apllication Panel which means you loose all recordset drag and drop functionality and its hand code city from there on in.

if i could influence adobe in any way i would trade in the balance braces button, The add comment button, the colour my code button , The indent and outdent code button for a working Application panel that works well! I cant see the problem coz if the recordset works on the server then DW should know its valid code. If i want to wrap a recordset in an IF statement (which is NOT illegal) then DW should know this and ignore the IF at least

rant over :(

Creative Insanity
05-03-2006, 11:49 AM
yes I have dthomsen8.
Many times 8 will give an error when trying to connect to a database.. do the same in 2004 with the same site, same file and same database and connects perfectly no problems.. try again in 8 and still same error.. There are more I could mention also, so which is better? Well, they both have their good and bad points.. but for hassle free database connections I go for 2004 hands down.

dthomsen8
05-03-2006, 12:04 PM
yes I have dthomsen8.
Many times 8 will give an error when trying to connect to a database.. do the same in 2004 with the same site, same file and same database and connects perfectly no problems.. try again in 8 and still same error.. There are more I could mention also, so which is better? Well, they both have their good and bad points.. but for hassle free database connections I go for 2004 hands down.

Can I expect any minor updates in Dreamweaver 8 to correct the kind of problems that you are describing? I see that my DW MX 2004 is version 7.0.1, but maybe there was a minor upgrade that I missed.

bkendall
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I believe there is a minor upgrade posted for DW8 as well, can't recall exactly what they addressed in the update though.

dreamlynx
05-04-2006, 04:54 AM
There is no way CI is wrong. 8 is very very buggy

domedia
05-04-2006, 06:29 AM
The update for DW8 came in january, and should be a mandatoty update:
http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dw8

It does fix known issues with how information is encrypted when connecting to other machines.