PDA

View Full Version : Template Error Message

Andromeda
05-01-2006, 02:14 AM
I've created a page which I then want to turn into a template.
When I save the page as a template I get the message (attached below).

Is anyone able to tell me what this means. Can I bury my head in the sand and ignore it??? Maybe I cannot have nested editable regions????

If it helps, the code for the template can be found at
http://www.aoteacollege.school.nz/updated/Templates/template001.dwt

Many thanks for your time.

domedia
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe I cannot have nested editable regions???? Correct, you cannot insert one editable region inside another.

Andromeda
05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
ok. So I have deleted a whole heap of stuff to make things less complicated.
I've saved the file as html. This can be viewed at
http://www.aoteacollege.school.nz/updated/new/testingtesting.html

This same page I am trying to save as a template but I still get the error message (as below) but I don't have nested tables.... do I???? :?

Line 127 seems to be the instructions to preload all my images I think.

dthomsen8
05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
ok. So I have deleted a whole heap of stuff to make things less complicated.
I've saved the file as html. This can be viewed at
http://www.aoteacollege.school.nz/updated/new/testingtesting.html

This same page I am trying to save as a template but I still get the error message (as below) but I don't have nested tables.... do I???? :?

Line 127 seems to be the instructions to preload all my images I think.

Porirua is near Wellington, New Zealand, but visitors to your web site might not know that if they have arrived from a Google search. Put the country in your address for the benefit of those of us on the other side of the globe.

Less complicated is good, but I can't answer your technical question.

domedia
05-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Your template is severaly broken. You need to close you <head> tag before starting your <body> tag. Maybe that will fix it? There's no nested editable regions there, so anything else you can fix might help.

Andromeda
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
domedia, if you were nearer I'd give you a great big hug. THANK YOU!! :D
BTW, is it best to close the tag before or after the script tags?

dthomsen8, thank you for your comment. A very appropriate comment since the college caters for international students as well. If you were nearer I'd give you a hug as well! :D

domedia
05-02-2006, 08:55 PM
BTW, is it best to close the tag before or after the script tags? All script tags must be inside the head area. Once the head tag is closed the next tag has to be the opening body tag:
</head>
<body>

dthomsen8
05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
domedia, if you were nearer I'd give you a great big hug. THANK YOU!! :D
BTW, is it best to close the tag before or after the script tags?

dthomsen8, thank you for your comment. A very appropriate comment since the college caters for international students as well. If you were nearer I'd give you a hug as well! :D

Before you come back to us again, try validating the template at www.w3.org and correct any errors. Warnings may be helpful, but get rid of the errors.

All script and meta tags have to come before the end of the head section. Validation will point that out to you, but sometimes in cryptic ways.

David

Andromeda
05-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I tried validating my page and got reasonably confused.

For example,

Error Line 6 column 56: end tag for "link" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="aotea.css" type="text/css">
You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

But I have closed the element.

I'm very confused.

Example 2:

Error Line 129 column 104: there is no attribute "background".
...dding="0" cellspacing="0" background="images/topstrip001.jpg">

If there is no "background" attribute, why does Dreamweaver put it there????

domedia
05-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Depending on which version of DW you use, there's several setting to decide the level of web standards you want to follow.

Andromeda
05-03-2006, 05:56 AM
I'm using Dreamweaver 8. Where do I go to change the settings?

dthomsen8
05-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm using Dreamweaver 8. Where do I go to change the settings?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
is near the top of your code. It says that you are using XHTML transistional. Because I am on Dreamweaver MX 2004, I don't know how you change the standard in DW 8, and having started with XHTML, you should continue. What is easy to say is that your code must meet XHTML standards. <link rel="stylesheet" href="aotea.css" type="text/css">
is an example of HTML which should be XHMTL with a closing /, as in:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="aotea.css" type="text/css" />

This kind of change can be done in the code window.

Also, eliminating every warning from the validation is not essential, in my opinion, but some developers have that as their goal. If you try to do that, you will learn about XHTML as you go, but it is more important to get the visual results you want from your posted web site.

Andromeda
05-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks dthomsen8 for your very helpful comments. Much appreciated.

dthomsen8
05-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks dthomsen8 for your very helpful comments. Much appreciated.

Why are you using background images on <td> tags?

According to the validation, that is a proprietary tag. If you use background images with CSS classes, you have code that is likely to work with all browsers.

By the way, what browsers are you using to check your work?

Andromeda
05-05-2006, 04:19 AM
The reason I'm using background images on <td> tags is because I'm not sure how to do it using css. I've started using css for styles and stuff but it's taking me a while to grasp the whole concept. Whereabouts in css do I put the code for the background image?

Also, if I want to achieve an effect such as can be found at http://www.newday.co.nz/test/backgrounds.html i.e. a fancy border, how would I achieve that in css since there are 8 images involved?

I'm checking my work in Internet Explorer and Mozilla.

Andromeda
05-05-2006, 05:32 AM
OK. You gave me a bit of encouragement with css and I've managed to find out how to use css for my background image. I would still like to know how to create a fancy border though.

dthomsen8
05-05-2006, 09:15 AM
The reason I'm using background images on <td> tags is because I'm not sure how to do it using css. I've started using css for styles and stuff but it's taking me a while to grasp the whole concept. Whereabouts in css do I put the code for the background image?

Also, if I want to achieve an effect such as can be found at http://www.newday.co.nz/test/backgrounds.html i.e. a fancy border, how would I achieve that in css since there are 8 images involved?

I'm checking my work in Internet Explorer and Mozilla.

Rounded corners are a big topic in CSS design articles. Search "CSS rounded corners" for plenty of articles on how to do them.

As for a fancy border, you are right, you would have 8 background images styled for each of the corners and each of the sides of the border. If you understand how they are doing rounded corners with CSS styles, then you will see how to do the fancy border the same way. Do you really need to do a fancy border like the one you are showing to us? Rounded corners might be sufficient.

Andromeda
05-06-2006, 01:26 AM
No, I don't neccessarily need a fancy border like the one shown, it was just to get my point across. I didn't know rounded corners existed in css. Thanks for that. I will do some investigating.