PDA

View Full Version : DW internal error

dorkello
04-21-2006, 10:36 PM
everytime i try to upload certain files it gives me an error message: "dreamweaver has encountered an interal error. please try the operation again." i try it again and it never works! this happened at work on a pc and now at home on my mac. i have searched and searched but no one seems to know whats going on..any one here know?

dthomsen8
04-22-2006, 10:33 AM
everytime i try to upload certain files it gives me an error message: "dreamweaver has encountered an interal error. please try the operation again." i try it again and it never works! this happened at work on a pc and now at home on my mac. i have searched and searched but no one seems to know whats going on..any one here know?

Tell us more information.

What version of Dreamweaver are you using, and on what operating system?

Have you given us the exact error message? Does it say, for example, "an internal data error." and not just an error? The exact message is important.

By "upload" you mean publish to your web hosting company ("remote") from a local hard drive?

What type of file, or is it various types, such as .htm or .swf or .pdf?

Does it fail with just one web site, or more than one?

Have you asked for help from the web hosting company? They won't help with particular software, but they might know something in particular about their servers.

dorkello
04-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Dreamweaver 2004 (education) on a Mac OSX, but I have also encountered this error on Windows XP, not sure of the Dreamweaver version though.

The message says:
"An FTP error occurred - Dreamweaver cannot put (file)." Dreamweaver encountered and internal data error. Please try the operation again."

I don't know if i am uploading to the webhosting company..I highlight the file in my file manager then click the "put" arrow, and that uploads it to my page.

It has done this with .html and .jpeg files so far.

I do not have any other websites to see if it also happens. I also have not contacted the web hosting company.

dthomsen8
04-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Dreamweaver 2004 (education) on a Mac OSX, but I have also encountered this error on Windows XP, not sure of the Dreamweaver version though.

The message says:
"An FTP error occurred - Dreamweaver cannot put (file)." Dreamweaver encountered and internal data error. Please try the operation again."

I don't know if i am uploading to the webhosting company..I highlight the file in my file manager then click the "put" arrow, and that uploads it to my page.

It has done this with .html and .jpeg files so far.

I do not have any other websites to see if it also happens. I also have not contacted the web hosting company.

Now that you have provided the exact error message, we can tell that probably there is something wrong with how you try to upload, or with the site definition, or with the server setup, or, less likely, a firewall problem.

First, when you try to upload the files, try to upload the entire site by picking the highest level of your file structure, get it to turn blue, and then hit the up arrow.

Have you published some files to your hosting company in the past, and now it fails completely? Maybe it publishes some files now, and then fails?

Are you confident about your site definition? Look at "Sites" in the Help, and check the "creating" and other entries there.

In a few cases, depending on the web hosting company server, it might mean you need a port number in the definition.

Almost all software for Windows and for the Mac has Help>About on the right side of its menu bar. Do that and you will see the Dreamweaver full name and version number. Probably Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Version 7.0.1. in your case. Whenever seeking help in a forum, knowing the exact software involved is sometimes critical to getting a good answer.

Let us know how you do.

domedia
04-23-2006, 04:15 PM
See if this technote from macromedia can be of help as well.
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14834

dorkello
04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I tried uploading the entire site, same error occurs with the same files.

I have published everything to the site before, and the past few days it just starting failing.

I have not changed anything with the site, after all it will still upload certain files to the site.

I have version 7.0.1

This is so frustrating!

dorkello
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
i forgot i do have 2 other sites i update through dreamweaver (very rare).
I tried uploading one of them and no errors at all.

i have also tried changing file names and resaving and such, no such luck.