PDA

View Full Version : A little assitance with a site I'm working on...

sarcastik
04-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I am working on a resume site for my girlfriend it can be found at www.rupatoor.com. I build sites in dreamweaver on a mac and they always look fine, but when I view them on a pc sometimes I have problems. This site is working fairly well, but I still have to issues:

1. The correct indentation spacing can be found on the "cover letter" page, but on the other 3 pages it puts in a huge space for reasons that are unknown to me. I would like to get rid of this so they all are spaced like the cover letter page.
2. When the browsers text size is set to medium everything looks fine, but when the size is adjusted to be any larger then that it stretches the size of the tables and causes everything to shift. So how do I either prevent users from adjusting text size OR prevent the tables from expanding even when text size is increased.

Thank you in advance to anyone with helpful advice.

domedia
04-20-2006, 12:55 AM
1. Looks fine here on Firefox/PC. I see the spaces when I use IE. It has to do something with your td widths, but I can hardly remember how to do tables for layout anymore .. Try using CSS for widths and see if that might help you out
2. You got 3 options, basically:
-Try setting your font size in CSS with the word '!important' following the size. Ie: font-size: 12px !important
-Set an absolute height on your td with text in it, and force a scroll, or simply not show the text (scroll is better as the user can at least red the content)
td.classname {height 100px; overflow: auto;}
-Third option is my advice. Change you design alltogether so it's not dependent on you telling pople what font size they should view your website with :)

chriskq
04-20-2006, 03:50 AM
i think it looks good - very neat.
great how ur content is not 'centered' and stretches to fit higher resolutions.
one thing u may want to change is how u are using images for ur background (this makes the page load slower)
you should wrap up the ur content in a new table or div and give it the light red background color. you can use margins to align the content.

i rate the site thou. Thumbs up!

chriskq
04-20-2006, 04:10 AM
oh gross, i realised just then ur using frames. For a site that small i dont see the point, using divs and css will make it load quicker. But kudos to u.

sarcastik
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I know...I suck. I am using frames because its all I know for right now. I just started using dreamweaver a couple months ago and before I used frontpage. A friend of mine is going to go over layers with me in the near future so I can add that it to my designs.

domedia
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
I know...I suck. I am using frames because its all I know for right now. You don't suck :) You just started out wrong based on (probably) bad advice. You chose to start with a harder technique, which is also outdated, instead of starting out learning the easy way, which also happens to be the better way for your website visitors. :)

sarcastik
04-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I started out doing webpages is frontpage which doesn't even allow for layers I believe and I also started 3 or 4 years back when tables wasn't quite as out dated I believe. Oh well I am in the process of getting into layers so wish me luck!

dthomsen8
04-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I started out doing webpages is frontpage which doesn't even allow for layers I believe and I also started 3 or 4 years back when tables wasn't quite as out dated I believe. Oh well I am in the process of getting into layers so wish me luck!

You should know that Dreamweaver layers can be converted to tables, and the other way around. Converting to tables, especially if there are different results in the browsers, can provide clues to layout problems.

Today, most designers avoid frames in favor of CSS layouts for designing new sites, but of course there are many older sites out there with frames.

sarcastik
04-22-2006, 12:58 PM

You should know that Dreamweaver layers can be converted to tables, and the other way around. Converting to tables, especially if there are different results in the browsers, can provide clues to layout problems.

Today, most designers avoid frames in favor of CSS layouts for designing new sites, but of course there are many older sites out there with frames.

This site doesn't incorperate frames though...