PDA

View Full Version : CSS with Templates?

nofx1728
04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a few questions. I'm using Dreamweaver 8.

1. I'm designing the layout of my site with css. I have my standard header, and footer that I do not want to change from page to page. Is there a way to keep them the same without using templates?

2. The client had a .gif image that he wanted to use as the header, which will also serve as the menu. I used the Dreamweaver "hotspot" function to make the text links. Is there a way that I can make that code an external file, so it doesn't have to be loaded on everypage? Would it be better to slice the image up in photoshop instead of using the hotspots?

Thanks,

nofx1728

domedia
04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Hiya nofx1728,
1. I'm designing the layout of my site with css. I have my standard header, and footer that I do not want to change from page to page. Is there a way to keep them the same without using templates?
Templates was made exactly for this.
If you for some reason don't want (?) to use templates, you would probably be looking at doing server side includes, which takes just a little knowledge about the server side language available with your host (ASP/PHP/etc)
2. The client had a .gif image that he wanted to use as the header, which will also serve as the menu. I used the Dreamweaver "hotspot" function to make the text links. Is there a way that I can make that code an external file, so it doesn't have to be loaded on everypage? Would it be better to slice the image up in photoshop instead of using the hotspots?You can use Dreamweaver Snippet function, which works similar as templates, or you can use server side includes as explained above.

dthomsen8
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a few questions. I'm using Dreamweaver 8.

2. The client had a .gif image that he wanted to use as the header, which will also serve as the menu. I used the Dreamweaver "hotspot" function to make the text links. Is there a way that I can make that code an external file, so it doesn't have to be loaded on everypage? Would it be better to slice the image up in photoshop instead of using the hotspots?

Thanks,

nofx1728

I have just that situation myself, and I use PHP includes to bring in the standard header and the standard footer(s) on each page. See if your web hosting company supports PHP. Most do.

nofx1728
04-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Yea... I host through godaddy.com and they support php. I have no clue how to work server side includes though. Although I figured out how to use a form with asp.

dthomsen8
04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Yea... I host through godaddy.com and they support php. I have no clue how to work server side includes though. Although I figured out how to use a form with asp.

PHP includes are easy. Look around with Google, or visit Barnes and Noble and read any PHP introduction book in the store to do it. PHP is invisible to the users, since the results come back as HTML to the browser. You can do this. Just be sure to have your file extensions be .php and not .htm and it will work.