PDA

View Full Version : "Click to activate and use this control" in IE??

elainebloodfairy
04-14-2006, 09:40 AM
hello!!

i've built a page with a SWF link on it.. when i browsed that page using IE(version:6.0.2900..etc) theres always a notice "Click to activate and use this control" unlike in Firefox.

how can it be resolved?? if i want IE to behave like firefox..

kona72
04-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Can't be resolved. Microsoft has infringed on somebody's patent (again) and lost another court case. This means that when viewing Web pages in Internet Explorer, Flash and other "active content" areas in Web pages now gets an ugly box around it when place your cursor over it.

elainebloodfairy
04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
oh..

thank you..

i asked 'coz im not sure if i just did somethin' wrong.. or im thinking someone might know how to resolve it.. but now i know..

thanks!!

elainebloodfairy
04-21-2006, 07:43 PM
hello.. someone gave me this link.. i just thought it may help someothers here too..

Instructions for Web Developers
You can download instructions on how to embed your ActiveX controls in pages (http://capitalhead.com/1240.aspx) using Java Script techniques which automatically activate the controls.

elainebloodfairy
04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
oh heres another one.. this is the one that works for me and my SWF controls..

1. copy and paste this code into a .txt file:
flashfix = function() {
theObjects = document.getElementsByTagName("object");
for (var i = 0; i < theObjects.length; i++) {
theObjects[i].outerHTML = theObjects[i].outerHTML;
}
}

if (window.attachEvent)
window.attachEvent("onload", flashfix)
else
window.onload=flashfix;

2. rename the .txt file 'ieupdate.js'

3. copy the following code and paste it in the <head> tag of the html page that has your flash movie:

<script language="JavaScript" src="ieupdate.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>

4. upload both to the same directory on your webserver

jasongo11
04-25-2006, 04:12 AM
hi,

i tried the method "ieupdate.js" but my explorer hangs after that...
i tried the other methods above also did not help...

can anyone guide me along the idiot proof way...?
all my flash buttons need activation before they can be used.

domedia
04-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I use http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/ , and it works beautifully!

elainebloodfairy
04-25-2006, 02:43 PM
um.. im not sure if this would help you.. i am quite shy to post instructions here too for im no expert!!

my first try of that ieupdate.js my explorer hanged too coz i did it wrong..
well heres the idiot way i did it right.. it must be right coz its working in my IE explorer now..

1. i copied and pasted the code below into a notepad and saved it by a filename --> ieupdate.js

flashfix = function() {
theObjects = document.getElementsByTagName("object");
for (var i = 0; i < theObjects.length; i++) {
theObjects[i].outerHTML = theObjects[i].outerHTML;
}
}

if (window.attachEvent)
window.attachEvent("onload", flashfix)
else
window.onload=flashfix;

2. i copied the following code below and pasted it in the <head> tag of the html page that has my flash movie:

<script language="JavaScript" src="ieupdate.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>

3. in my html document, the page that has my SWF control, in code view it should look something like this..

<head>
<title>mySite homepage!!</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
</head>

4. then the ieupdate.js file and the html document should be in the same directory/folder on your webserver/rootfolder..

say um in mySite rootfolder i have a folder "mySite" and in it is the ieupdate.js and index.html

mySite folder:
>ieupdate.js
>index.html

when i open my index.html.. the "click to activate and use this control" alert ish no more!! its automatically activated..

er.. sorry for being specific.. i dont know the level of your idiocy.. mine i know ish a negative one!!

..but this method works for me :wink:

..but i bet the link domedia gave ish more better!!

elainebloodfairy
04-25-2006, 03:29 PM
i forgot..

if you insert the swf file in a table in dreamweaver.. the explorer will hang once.. when you try again its okey..

mine dont hangs anymore coz i dont insert my swf in a table.. i just insert and center it on page..

but if you must have a table.. i think you can get somethin' out of domedia's help link.. its more sure!!

bkendall
04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
These solutions all look similar to this but jsut in case someone wants more Info... Here is the Adobe <Macromedia> solution and information

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/

jasongo11
04-26-2006, 04:03 AM
hi elainebloodfairy,

thanks for the help and the detailed explaination. i did according to your instructions but IE still hangs when my mouse cusor goes over it. my flash clip is in a table.

i have tried removing it outside the table but it still hangs.

any1 can help..? thanks

domedia
04-26-2006, 10:57 PM
any1 can help..? thanks
Try one of the other approaches as well.

elainebloodfairy
04-27-2006, 07:47 PM
hi jasongo11..

i dont know why your browser keeps hanging.. it works on my IE browser fine.. maybe you just did something wrong like i did the first time.. but then again maybe not and im talking crap!!

Try one of the other approaches as well..
:wink:

ianlambert
06-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey Elainebloodfairy just to let you know I have followed your very precise instructions and hey presto it has worked perfectly!!! Plus saved me from any more sleepless nights regarding my flash animation nightmare, thank YOU very much, Ian :lol:

vintagecar
06-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I downloaded the dreamweaver update after trying elainebloodfairy fix which didn't work for me and now the flash buttons are just gone when I go and preview in IE.
I created the buttons in Dreamweaver selecting Insert, Media, Flash Button. Now just the background shows when I preview it and the button is gone. Anyone else have this issue? Or a fix for it?

scifin
06-06-2006, 10:13 PM
It may be best to just not use flash ever again. That's my suggestion. :lol:

Maybe in the next incarnation of IE they'll have made this a non-issue but in the meantime I also vote for FlashObject as the way to go. You could also try to convert the world to Firefox.

vintagecar
06-07-2006, 02:28 AM
What about the Image Object, Navigation Bar would that work properly?

triplemoons
06-21-2006, 04:19 AM
...I was just going to post a question regarding this and I'm sure glad I used the search function! This site is AWESOME! :D

Ricky55
06-25-2006, 03:31 PM
check out

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash8/flash_fix.htm

christine_chua
08-18-2006, 03:56 AM
everytime i click on the website i developed - main.html, at the top of the screen appear a bar stated "To help protect your security, IE has restricted this file showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..." is this refer to the same prob that u guys face? Im confuse about the Active X thingie.

Thanks.

chriskq
08-18-2006, 05:52 AM
Do not be scared christine as i was caught off gaurd by this message when i started developing on my own pc too.

The reason you get that message is very simple - its because you are not putting a request for the webpage throu a server.

If you were to ftp your page and test it actaully on the web - the error will not appear.

To get around it on ur own pc you will need to install windows IIS which makes ur computer act as a server. This is relatively simple to do (and if u have xp pro, IIS will be on the windows install cd)
theres many guid e online for installing and troubleshooting - google it and let us kno how u go.

christine_chua
08-18-2006, 07:10 AM
oh i see, g thanks. i was so panic when it keep apear on my screen. i look for solution in all this while, *tired. I'll see the result when test on server.