PDA

View Full Version : Newbie frustration | broken link icon on "default.htm&q

chesterdog
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I've only produced one simple web site to date.

Not able to get the second one off the ground.

I've tried numerous times to define a new sight, only to have entirely broken links that don't show up through the link checker. When I double click to open up the "default.htm" page, a dialogue box appears, indicating the file does not exist. (actually none of the files I create seem to exist). In Site Map view, "default.htm" appears with a broken link icon next to it and the name (default) in red.

Forgive me for my ignorance. . . but can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance. . . cheers and happy easter.

dthomsen8
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I've only produced one simple web site to date.

Not able to get the second one off the ground.

I've tried numerous times to define a new sight, only to have entirely broken links that don't show up through the link checker. When I double click to open up the "default.htm" page, a dialogue box appears, indicating the file does not exist. (actually none of the files I create seem to exist). In Site Map view, "default.htm" appears with a broken link icon next to it and the name (default) in red.

Forgive me for my ignorance. . . but can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance. . . cheers and happy easter.

You don't provide enough evidence for a reply. Can you provide some screen captures from your Dreamweaver pages? The files panel would be especially relevant.

I suspect some difficulty with your web hosting company. Where are you getting your hosting?

chesterdog
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much for the reply and forgive me for not responding sooner. . . Easter & family kept us busy.

After reading your comments I realized that I neglected to mention that I've set the project to work on localhost and not a remote host. I've not loaded it onto a remote host at all yet.

I'm not sure if these will be helpfull or not, but I've attached some screen captures. I hope they provide some value in helping me figure this out.

Thanks again in advance.

Cheers,

Kim.

chesterdog
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi again. . . My mistake I sent the wrong picture titled "Site Definition D. Box". I meant to send this one.

Mistakes like that may be a sign relating to the reason why I'm not able to get this project roling.

dthomsen8
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi again. . . My mistake I sent the wrong picture titled "Site Definition D. Box". I meant to send this one.

Mistakes like that may be a sign relating to the reason why I'm not able to get this project roling.

Kim,

Thank you for the information, give us some time to review it.

David

chesterdog
04-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Kim,

DavidDavid,

Thanks for your reply and your time. I wanted to wait until you had the chance to get back to me, but I ended up trying something. I decided to see if a newer version (Dreamweaver 8) would solve the problem I was having. I downloaded the demo version from macromedia.com. . . I then downloaded the updater from:

> http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dw8<

I tried to open the same dreamweaver files ("default.htm") with the new DW8.0.1 but was again unable to. This time the warning dialogue box indicating the "file did not exist" did not show, but the file opened only for approximately 1/4 of a second then disappeared or closed. I tried repeatedly with the same results. I then tried to define another new site, I was then able to open the "default.htm" file. (I got excited about this!). I then used that newly defined site to continue developing my second web site. After creating all the necessary files and folders, I tried to open "default.htm" again. . . and the file reacted the same way, by showing briefly (less than a second) and then disappearing again.

I have not been able to find anyone else who is having the same problem. . . so I'm assuming it must be something that I'm doing wrong or something wrong with my equipment and OS. Could that be possible? I'm using a new Mac Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5, with 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM. Currently I am running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6.

Once again thank you for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Kim.

dthomsen8
04-29-2006, 12:23 AM

Kim,

DavidDavid,

Thanks for your reply and your time. I wanted to wait until you had the chance to get back to me, but I ended up trying something. I decided to see if a newer version (Dreamweaver 8) would solve the problem I was having. I downloaded the demo version from macromedia.com. . . I then downloaded the updater from:

> http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dw8<

I tried to open the same dreamweaver files ("default.htm") with the new DW8.0.1 but was again unable to. This time the warning dialogue box indicating the "file did not exist" did not show, but the file opened only for approximately 1/4 of a second then disappeared or closed. I tried repeatedly with the same results. I then tried to define another new site, I was then able to open the "default.htm" file. (I got excited about this!). I then used that newly defined site to continue developing my second web site. After creating all the necessary files and folders, I tried to open "default.htm" again. . . and the file reacted the same way, by showing briefly (less than a second) and then disappearing again.

I have not been able to find anyone else who is having the same problem. . . so I'm assuming it must be something that I'm doing wrong or something wrong with my equipment and OS. Could that be possible? I'm using a new Mac Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5, with 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM. Currently I am running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6.

Once again thank you for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Kim.

I am strictly a Windows XP Pro person, so I don't know much about Mac OS file structures, or other possible Mac problems. I hope that someone else here can help you with your problem. It may be something simple. I would doubt that changing to DW8 would make a difference, though.

chesterdog
05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
I understand. I'll cross my fingers for a response from some of the Mac users. Appreciate it you getting back to me anyway.

Cheers again from a "getting anxious" Mac user.