PDA

View Full Version : Weird! Design much darker on CRTs than LCDs

Creative Spirits
04-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I have developed a design for a lyrical section using a black background and toned down the images so they don't fight with the text for attention.

This has been developed using an LCD monitor, and on those it looks perfect.

However, when I have a look at the very same page on CRT monitors I can hardly see the images on some pages. I would have to brighten up the whole design, thus "breaking" it for LCD monitors.

Check out this sample page. (http://www.creativespirits.de/lyrics/hope/marienkaefer.html)

Did anyone have the same dilemma and knows why this is so?

Thanks,
Jens

Creative Insanity
04-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Sorry mate back to the drawing board as I use duel LCDs and I can't see the images. Faint look and not able to make out what they are. I think you have got the contrast or brightness on yours too high. Let the monitor pick the best colour, contrast etc

domedia
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Did anyone have the same dilemma and knows why this is so? Hi Jens, it looked o.k on my monitor. You really can't guarantee how the colors/brightness will end up looking on other monitors, as the settings for these values are set locally.

Creative Spirits
04-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks Creative Insanity and Domedia for your contributions.

I could determine that the particularly black monitors were a local problem and my initial concern faded a bit.

When I viewed screenshots from different users on a particularly dark monitor in every one the image was hardly visible.

So the solution seems to be to design as one would, test it on a number of LCD and CRT monitors and then don't worry too much about some escapees who are set differently. And, most of all, remember that mainly black site designs are not an easy thing to do.

Thanks again,
Jens

Prologue
04-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Hmm, that is interesting that the screenshots came out dark.

If they used a computer program to make the screenshot then it would create the picture using the numeric values that you picked with your computer.

In other words, if the other people made a screenshot using a computer based program and sent it back to you and then you viewed that picture on your monitor, it 'should' look the same.

If this isn't the way it was done then I apologize.

Anyway, a good way to combat varying brightnesses, and weird colors, you should configure your monitors brightness, contrast, and gamma settings, giving you a more representative look. There are sites on the web that display strips of color and different gradients to help get it set up correctly.

domedia
04-14-2006, 01:20 PM
If they used a computer program to make the screenshot then it would create the picture using the numeric values that you picked with your computer.

In other words, if the other people made a screenshot using a computer based program and sent it back to you and then you viewed that picture on your monitor, it 'should' look the same
Actually it would not :) the 2 monitors are still calibrated differently. If I took a screenshot on my PC, sent ot you on email, it would still look different on your monitor simply because of your local settings.