PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Mac Issue?

Ken Rogers
04-06-2006, 04:20 AM
I've created a website for a friend who owns a Mac. Each week I must update a picture on the home page, and update a small Flash movie. Unfortunately after each update, his Mac continues to show the previous week's content.

I've talked to him about emptying his cache, and he insists that he's done this. I don't get it.

This forces me to change the name of the picture each and every week, and since this is the case, I must update all 40 pages, changing the name of the picture on each and every page.

I tried using a frameset system today, but then we get HUGE alignment issues. You can have a look at the existing site below. The site owner would like every page to contain the identical banner and navigation, and that's what I'm working on right now.

http://www.bellamar.ca

What I would LOVE is to be able to open another web page inside a table cell. Can I do that?

chriskq
04-06-2006, 04:58 AM
it doent seem like that much of a problem.
In macromedia homesite you can 'find and replace' text inside your root folder. IE - the img src filename path gets changed on every page in ur website folder (and subfolders) with one click/update.

if he wants every page to have the banner and wahtever else, Put them in in include files, and you can call the include file in the page where you want it

eg: You could wrap nav and banner up in seperate include files.

Note: to call include files your page must be in .shtml, .asp, .aspx or .php. They will not work with striaght .html pages.

use this code to call ur include:

Does that help?
You have to think simpler...

Ken Rogers
04-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Big help, I'll give it a shot... Thanks.

johnph77
04-06-2006, 10:35 AM
This forces me to change the name of the picture each and every week, and since this is the case, I must update all 40 pages, changing the name of the picture on each and every page.

If this remains necessary and all the files are in one folder Dreamweaver will allow you to edit all 40 files at once if the previous and new file names are the same in all 40 files.

In the "Find and Replace" command box, select "Folder", then select whatever folder in which the files are located. Make your edit, then "Save All".

dthomsen8
04-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I've created a website for a friend who owns a Mac. Each week I must update a picture on the home page, and update a small Flash movie. Unfortunately after each update, his Mac continues to show the previous week's content.

I've talked to him about emptying his cache, and he insists that he's done this. I don't get it.

Is your friend using AOL? They have a cache system that sometimes shows web sites as they were when AOL sampled them, and not as they currently are. Whatever ISP your friend uses, look into the possibility that it is the ISP,
and not that he has a Mac.

Ken Rogers
04-07-2006, 02:06 AM
I'll check into that, thank you. I have done some research and have decided that an iframe is what I really need. So far it's working well. I get the tidy alignment of a tabled web page, with links that open content in a floating frame.

Ken

dthomsen8
04-07-2006, 02:29 AM
I'll check into that, thank you. I have done some research and have decided that an iframe is what I really need. So far it's working well. I get the tidy alignment of a tabled web page, with links that open content in a floating frame.

Ken I used an iframe quite successfully where otherwise a frameset might have been used. It is a better choice.