PDA

View Full Version : Is my site ugly or unatractive in any way?

Nationwide
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Hello all. I am relatively new to the web programming world and manage a website for a RV dealer.

www.nationwiderv.com

I feel like I need some constructive criticism on my site. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

dthomsen8
04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Hello all. I am relatively new to the web programming world and manage a website for a RV dealer.

www.nationwiderv.com

I feel like I need some constructive criticism on my site. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Every web site should have a DOCTYPE before the <html> tag, and a language specification following the <head> tag. See the source code of this web site (view > source in the browser) for an example, but most web sites do have these minimum specifications.

Once you have the DOCTYPE and language specified, then go to www.w3.org to validate your HTML. You have a good start, keep going.

johnph77
04-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Nationwide -

In my browser and resolution the table with the schedule of hours merge into the text immediately above. I don't have time right now to check the code to find out why this happened, but will do so later and get back with you.

"RV" is expressed three differnt ways on the page - "RV", "R.V." and "R.v.". IMHO, that should always be "RV". Be consistent throughout, whichever you choose.

Links in the left hand column would look better boldfaced. "F&Q" should be "FAQ".

Good legibility - easily read by these older eyes.

Nice start - go for it.

davidj
04-06-2006, 05:03 PM
come on guys.. Help him out ...

ok
Your site has an air of amature about it
you need to get some design ideas...
Look at your competition. You will find good and bad examples. A good proffessional site fills people with confidence and adds to that first impression in 7 seconds malarky

http://www.rvsales.co.uk/
http://www.beaudryrv.com/
http://www.rvusa.com/

i am not saying these examples are good ones but you do get an impression of proffessionalism

dont pinch,clone or copy any design. Absorb the ideas and make them your own

dont just use RV's use any web site you like to get Inspiration...

my fav site for Inspiration is..
http://www.cwd.dk/

look for the Inspiration link on the left

take your time, dont rush and you will create a work of art

Nationwide
04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys! The feedback makes a big difference. Thanks for the website, I am far from an artist - this being my first site. I do love what I am doing, thats an important thing.

domedia
04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Did you also consider having the client hire someone to do the design part for you?

Nationwide
04-06-2006, 08:16 PM
It's kind of a one horse operation here. They hired me to do the entire thing so I doubt that they would hire a designer. I personally don't want to pay for it. I am sure that I can design something better - I was rather rushed to get this up and running.

All I can say is "you should have seen it before I got here", I had taken over the job - the guy before me was a retired gentlmen who was making due at best.

domedia
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I belive it's better :)

But you're putting yourself at a disadvantage, it's pretty clear that you're more of a coder than a designer, it's the general lack of design that needs fixing, not a different design if you get what I mean ;)

Another website about RV's you might get some ideas from :
http://www.ranchrv.com/

dthomsen8
04-07-2006, 02:34 AM
It's kind of a one horse operation here. They hired me to do the entire thing so I doubt that they would hire a designer. I personally don't want to pay for it. I am sure that I can design something better - I was rather rushed to get this up and running.

All I can say is "you should have seen it before I got here", I had taken over the job - the guy before me was a retired gentlmen who was making due at best.

Let us know when you have made changes we should see.

(The pontoon boat page is rather strange and different.)

Puddinlover
04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I mean not bad at all to me just seems a little "old" nothing really stands out about it very mello. Mabey add like diffrent buttons or mabey a little rv sound when you mouse over (j/k on last opeion) but yes overall very good :D

Nationwide
04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm thinking I may just buy a nice looking template and alter it a bit. I think that is a little more on my level at the moment.

Has anyone had much luck with templates?

Puddinlover
04-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Well that could be a quick fix but really just try a lil harder i think you almost got it man.

dthomsen8
04-11-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking I may just buy a nice looking template and alter it a bit. I think that is a little more on my level at the moment.

Has anyone had much luck with templates? Some hosting companies offer very quick results with template web sites. They tend to be very complex and consequently slow for dial-up customers.

Have you tried to do anything we have suggested in here? I don't see any changes in your site so far.

Nationwide
04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
No, I haven't had a whole lot of time. I switched hosting services this week. It's been a nightmare. FYI if you need to regester a domain name NEVER go through esoftwiz.com. You can't get ahold of them if you try, worst customer service EVER.

anyhow, I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm not sure if I will make the changes myself or do the template - I found one I like a lot. I think it would deffinitly help. It also leaves a lot of room for me to personalize it.

vkw91
05-21-2006, 03:58 PM
try and avoid scrolling on the main page
another than that just a few tweeks to perfection - well done!

blanchard
05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
The font is a little difficult to read in the dotted box at the bottom.

Dave - Rave
05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Looks good to me but i am totally new to web design so my opinion doesnt count! :lol: :lol:

Creative Insanity
05-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Personally I think all that large text is horrid.

dthomsen8
05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
No, I haven't had a whole lot of time. I switched hosting services this week. It's been a nightmare. FYI if you need to regester a domain name NEVER go through esoftwiz.com. You can't get ahold of them if you try, worst customer service EVER.

anyhow, I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm not sure if I will make the changes myself or do the template - I found one I like a lot. I think it would deffinitly help. It also leaves a lot of room for me to personalize it.

Download the Firefox browser and see how much worse your site looks with that browser. There are plenty of places where text overlaps the blue backgrounds. The pontoon boat picture overlaps its blue border.

"F&Q" in your menu should be "FAQ" for Frequently Asked Questions.

You should have DOCTYPE statements, too, as I said before. You should look at ways to conceal your email address from the SPAM email address harvesters. Google "conceal email address" for lots of hints.

Your site is somewhat better, if I remember the earlier one correctly, but there is still lots of room for improvement.

Nationwide
06-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Ok, so I have finally gotten the update to my site done. It's in flash - and yes - does take a bit to load. However you can go to www.nationwiderv.com for the welcome page (option to go to flash or the old site)

or www.nationwiderv.com/flashhome.html

i haven't gone through and updated the old site yet. That will be the coming few months.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!