PDA

View Full Version : Conceptual question

phild
03-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie that is stuck conceptually...

I have created a Home page using Fireworks and Dreamweaver and I'm stuck with where to go next. You see, I want more than one page...

The next thing I did was create a template out of my home page, leaving a large area in the middle editable for main content. So, this kinda makes sense to me, I will have consistency (of the non editable regions) across all pages which is good. My problem is, how do I develop graphics and content for this area.

My thoughts were, to create a set of separate content pages (using Fireworks and Dreamweaver) and then in some fashion, 'suck' them into my main content area. Some questions regarding this: Does this make sense, is it the right approach, or is there a better way? If this is the way to go; what does this content page look like, is it a full html page with header, title, body etc. or is it just a fragment for example a <table> descriptor? Finally, how do you do the 'sucking' in part :) ?

On a higher conceptual level, are templates the way to go? Is there a better way?

All help will be very much appreciated,
Phil

davidj
03-31-2006, 03:22 PM
everything has its place. Like Templates

I have never touched them myself coz i get clostraphobic (im a free bird )

my way of developing is to knock up a concept design in a fav graphical app then slice it up

bits include..
menu, content area, banners, navigation, pics etc

i export this into DW and define my CSS assigning backgrounds and binning content placeholders. Once happy i name this page as template.htm (or .PHP depending on how much magic dust im going to use)

Once i have a basic page i start saving these pages as i develop them..

index.htm
products.htm
contact.htm

i can feel lots of heads shaking ... like when i put the car in for repair last week! :?

domedia
03-31-2006, 03:30 PM
I would say either use a dw template or server side includes for site consistency.
(davidj, don't tell me all your pages are static..?)
I think you're on the right track.

Your template has the whole interface already done, so each time you want to make a new page, you just create one from your template and insert your 'stuff'.
This way, if you do changes to your template, it will automatically make these changes sitewide.

davidj
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
(davidj, don't tell me all your pages are static..?)

my pages are defined using the method above

menus are defined in a single include

scripts are written as i develop the pages

dthomsen8
03-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie that is stuck conceptually...

I have created a Home page using Fireworks and Dreamweaver and I'm stuck with where to go next. You see, I want more than one page...

The next thing I did was create a template out of my home page, leaving a large area in the middle editable for main content. So, this kinda makes sense to me, I will have consistency (of the non editable regions) across all pages which is good. My problem is, how do I develop graphics and content for this area.

My thoughts were, to create a set of separate content pages (using Fireworks and Dreamweaver) and then in some fashion, 'suck' them into my main content area. Some questions regarding this: Does this make sense, is it the right approach, or is there a better way? If this is the way to go; what does this content page look like, is it a full html page with header, title, body etc. or is it just a fragment for example a <table> descriptor? Finally, how do you do the 'sucking' in part :) ?

On a higher conceptual level, are templates the way to go? Is there a better way?

All help will be very much appreciated,
Phil

I am still learning about templates, so I am cautious about them, but you must consider the easier approach of just saving your home page repeatedly to start your secondary pages, and then modifying them individually.

Are you using an external cascading style sheet for your home page?

Are you using tables, or CSS for layout?

How do you plan to do navigation, that is, where are links going to the secondary pages going to be?

phild
03-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks everybody for the responses.

Good Questions DT.

I think at first it might be easier just copying the home page repeatedly, but after you have a few of these and you need to make modifications to the basic page, the easier part would become an illusion.

I will be using an external CSS sheet.

I am using background graphics which is sliced into tables. I am using CSS for styling text and colors etc as much as possible.

If I understand how this works, you still need to create all the pages, its just that they are from templates. So, you are still linking to a 'real' page.

I guess, in some instances, (perhaps for repeated product) you could have one template page and depending on a variable setting, use server side includes to bring in the correct file.

dthomsen8
03-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks everybody for the responses.

Good Questions DT.

I think at first it might be easier just copying the home page repeatedly, but after you have a few of these and you need to make modifications to the basic page, the easier part would become an illusion.

I will be using an external CSS sheet.

I am using background graphics which is sliced into tables. I am using CSS for styling text and colors etc as much as possible.

If I understand how this works, you still need to create all the pages, its just that they are from templates. So, you are still linking to a 'real' page.

I guess, in some instances, (perhaps for repeated product) you could have one template page and depending on a variable setting, use server side includes to bring in the correct file.

If you have many other pages, then templates may well be the way to go. I would suggest that you work with a template and just a few secondary pages, and learn what happens when you modify the template. Don't wait until you have invested a lot of work in a lot of pages, try it out first.

An external style sheet is a big help in making changes.

phild
03-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Thats what I'm doing, however:

I still don't know the best way to fill the content area and perhaps someone can make a suggestion.
I am currently looking at:

Server Side Includes
iFrames

Anybody have any opinions about which is the preferred method? Please!

Phil

dthomsen8
04-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Thats what I'm doing, however:

I still don't know the best way to fill the content area and perhaps someone can make a suggestion.
I am currently looking at:

Server Side Includes
iFrames

Anybody have any opinions about which is the preferred method? Please!

Phil

What are you seeking to accomplish? Do you want to fill in content from a database, or change it based on the date, or just what?

It might well be that what you are seeking to do is beyond what I am able to help you with.