PDA

View Full Version : Site Visitor Counter

Ricky55
03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi

Quite new to web design. I've never used a site couter, I want one really that doesn't show up on the site all I want is the info from it.

How can I go about doing this. Are there some that I could download.

Thanks

Richard

domedia
03-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Your host already have this information, and most likely (unless you have a free host) will give you access to all the important daat for your website.

davidj
03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
site counters are usless where this counts up when the page is loaded

the information you harvest is inacurrate with relation to how many people have visited and to be given a number doesnt really give the whole picture if any picture at all

you need a web log analyser.

as dom pointed out your host may provide you with this info or try a free one

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

dthomsen8
03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi

Quite new to web design. I've never used a site couter, I want one really that doesn't show up on the site all I want is the info from it.

How can I go about doing this. Are there some that I could download.

Thanks

Richard

Do you want the site counter to impress the users, or are you seeking information yourself? For information for yourself, you need to get statistics from your web hosting company, as has already been suggested.

I am doubtful that visitors are impressed by high numbers in a site counter, because it is too easy to imagine that the web developer can advance the counter without visitors.

domedia
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Site counters only look amateurish. If you can get access to your server logs/ domain stats from backend, it's far better.

Ricky55
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks.

I agree site counters are awful.

Basically I have created a site for the company that I work for. This site is only used by 15 of our sales reps I just want to know how often that are accessing the site.

The site is not thrown up on searches so unless you knew the URL you would never visit.

Each sales agent has their own URL, for name@domain.co.uk for instance.

Would our hosting co be able to provide me with this info then? Would this be free.

Its basically my MD he wants to know how often they are using this intenal site as we've sent quite a bit of time on it.

Thanks

Ricky55

Creative Insanity
04-04-2006, 01:46 AM
hosters raw logs track EVERYTHING that happens on a site.

domedia
04-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Would our hosting co be able to provide me with this info then? Would this be free.You have to ask your host directly about this.